Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ohio Regs in NY?

Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ohio Regs in NY?

I'm in 7f.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I'm in 7f.
Ok. Thanks. Region 7 - CNY. Cool. Need some help with this? I could make a few calls to the guys I know in this region and they will get on their colleagues in R7...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 AM

Doc
Thanks for the info on the tags. You are right that tag should only be good for the reg season not late season too. I know it does not happen to often but it does give hunters even more chances to harest two bucks in one year.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: bowkill144

Doc
You are right but I put alot of trailcamsout ona couple of what should be good propertys and still capture very few 2.5 or older bucks. I start putting out cams in late august and keep them out right till the end of oct. It must just be the areas I am in and the nieghbor factor I guess.
Gene
Doc did you find out if you can fill both tags during the late muzz season? I would not shoot two nice bucks then even if it was possible where I hunt but I am still wondering. The regs seem to read that both buck tags are good during the late season.
Gotta make a correction. The Regular Season Tag is valid during extended season for deer of EITHER SEX, as is stated in the DEC Exceptions to the Antlered only use of said tag.

Which underlines another challenge hunters face, and indeed wind up turning away from the sport -regulation confusion. I'm very knowledgeable on these subjects. Yet, this particular piece of the deer tagging process is bloody confusing. Click this link below and read up. Why call it a Regular Season Buck Tag if you can use it in extended as well, not to mention the flexibility it gives you to filling antlered or antlerless during late season?

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/biggame.html#Baglimits

Confusing regulations, unnecessary regulations and new regulations all contribute to hunter confusion. Inthis particular case, I can clearly see how any hunter could get confused. The law-abiding hunter will most likely opt against harvesting an animal, or even hitting the woods, for fear of being in violation of the law. The poacher doesn't give a hoot. SO who are we hurting by making some of these hunting regulations concerning tagging confusing?

I like the KISS methodology. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! Got a regular season buck tag? Good during regular season only, for antlered deer only. Got an early/ late deer tag(s), only valid during those seasons. DMPs are another issue. I see the logic in allowing these permits to be valid for all seasons, as the goals of these tags are to meet specific population goals of each specific WMU. But the Regular Season BUck Tag should be just that, only valid during your respective regular season, and only valid for bucks with at least one 3" tine sticking out of its dome.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Here's some more confusion for NY hunters to contend with... This is one we debated at camp this year.

According to the Big Game regulations, hunting hours are sunrise to sunset throughout all Big Game seasons. You cannot hunt with ammunition in firearms that are loaded with anything other than single projectiles. In rifle permitted areas, you cannot use any rimfire rifles (such as .22 cal LR) and you cannot use shotguns smaller than 20 gauge.

HOWEVER..... I love these howevers... According to the Furbearer Hunting Regulations, you MAY hunt day or night (except you must wait until sunrise opening day of the season in question, like coyote, sunrise on Oct 1, then day or night through the balance of the season, which runs through March 26.) You may hunt with any legal implement for small game, including .22 rimfire LR, AND you can use any shot in a shotgun, such as 00 buckshot. You may hunt using lights, and, other than the restriction of no riflesbeing permitted during Big Game season in areas where Big Game hunting is limited to shotgun only, that is the about it. I also believe you cannot hunt at night for coyote or fox until after Regular Big Game opens (so you're not allowed to hunt the night before regular season opener).

Now, my feeble little tells me this is an opportunity for poaching, is it not? Opportunity for jacklighting potential? It used to be, eons ago, when Regular Deer season opened, that was all you could hunt. ALl other seasons were effectively suspended (waterfowl not withstanding) and you couldn't even go afield with shotgun ammo other than deer slugs (if you hunt pheasants and had #4 shot on you, you were illegal afield during regular deer season.)

Many of the regulations serve to confuse hunters, while also inadvertently providing legal "cover" for potential poaching, meaning, hey, I'm hunting coyotes - never mind the crumpled heap of a buck out there, I didn't shoot it, must have been wounded during the day...

We have so much work to do, and quite frankly, some of this is exactly related to hunters and their respect for the law, never to be solved by simply passing a new law.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Need some help with this? I could make a few calls to the guys I know in this region and they will get on their colleagues in R7...
Yes please.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Need some help with this? I could make a few calls to the guys I know in this region and they will get on their colleagues in R7...
Yes please.
Ok.... PM me your email address, and we'll go from there.

That makes 3 different hunters that need help getting the DEC to get off their butts. FUBAR. Gotta love the DEC. SO far action has been taken with one incident. Haven't heard about number two, yet, but I will....

Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

PM sent. Thanks Doc.