Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Delaware DNREC

Old 12-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Delaware DNREC

Al,
All I have at present is a Md hunter safty cert. Looks like I need a lot but that's no problem. I guess a few phone calls will set the wheels in motion. If you can't get the info I will try next week sometime to.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Ken,

Thanks for the great account of the hunt, I felt like I was with you. I love to read stories like that, expecially about areas I care greatly about. The reason I am upset is that I did not know that If I participated in the Master Hunter Program, and put the time in, I would have a oportunity at a hunt like you were able to participate in. I would gladly have put the time in, and I am going to persue the Master Hunter program to become certified so I have the oportunity in the future. Did you know that you were going to have the opportunity for a hunt like this before you signed up for the master hunter program? If so, where did you find out from? I could not find any information, or press releases that said there would be additional opportunities provided for hunters thru this program.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:20 PM

It was mentioned at the meeting I attended at DNREC when they were discussing the use of Dept. of Agriculture employees to take out the 600 deer for study purposes (aka the "snipers") last year. I gave my info to Greg Moore (with DNREC)and I got on the list. The first classes were held this past Jan, Feb and March.
In case anyone is interested, there was some interesting things that happened with the"600 sample deer"
At the DNREC mtg, a bunch of folks told DNREC that if they wanted samples, don't spend the money for the Dept of Ag people, we'd do it for free and drop off the deer. Thebigproblem was that hunters would have to use their own tags for the deer and would not be given a replacement tag.That didn't go over well. DNREC setup refrigerated containers at drop off points around the state for the Jan shotgun and Muzzleloader seasons and hunters could donate the deer. Well, hunters only donated a little over 100 deer. So DNREC brought in the Dept of Ag folks to get the remaining 500+ sample deer. The method was using 2 small caliber rifles (a .223 and a 22-250)with suppressors attached, spotlighting the deer, and shooting them. Incidentaly, one of the guys at the DNREC meeting quipped, "We do that crap and you call it poaching and arrest us!"
Anyway, the "professionals" only managed about another 100 deer. One of the bioligists stated that anytime they shined a spotlight into a farm field the deer would run. Seems they'd been through this drill before! Anyway, the final cost ended up being more expensive on the donated deer 'cause they paid people overtime to sit at the drop off points.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:42 PM

Oh yeah. Your other question. The part about special hunts. I brought up the fact that many of the folks in DE who were complaining about excess deer, were the same people who did not allow hunting on their properties. Farmers in particular. My stand has always been, if you don't allow hunting to control the deer on your property, you have no right to complain.
Which brings me to another point.
This past year the legislature passed a bill allowing farmers to shoot deer, anytime during the year if they were causing "documentable damage" to crops. SeaNymph - If you want to call something BS, this is real BS. If ever there was something that was ripe for abuse, this is it. There are some provisions which must be met before a farmer can start shooting deer, but I'd be willing to wager most of 'em won't worry about a bunch of silly rules. They're going to start shooting deer. I hope it doesn't turn out to disastrous results like the PA deer situation.
To finish out my note here, DNREC stated at the meeting that many farmers and suburbanites would be open to the idea of allowing hunting provided the hunters had additional training and were "certified" by DNREC as being safe, ethical folks. Thus the idea of the Master Hunter program was born. It's not a new concept. Many European countries have used this approach for years. There are also similar programs in many other states. As I stated previously, my hope is that this past weeks hunt was a success both in deer reduction in the area, but more importantly, public perception of hunters as avaluable tool to maintain healthy wildlife populations.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:50 PM

Rick,
MD Hunter card will work for the basic hunter safety requirement.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tz yov've been very informative with this issue. I too attended one meeting last year in Dover as it was my 1st year here in De and I wanted to learn as much as possable. I have followed this story with the 600 dear from start to present. I did not hunt De this year being my 1st full year herewith very little connections, but I plan to hit the woods a running in the upcoming yearafter a lot of learning the state andcarring all the credentals available including the master hunter certifacation. Maybe we will meet at one of these special hunts or maybe aDNREC meeting.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard today there will be a QDMA seminar/school at the R&R bldg in Dover Jan 27th.The master hunter program will be discussed at meeting.This QDMA/seminar/school/meeting should count for 1 part of master hunter cert.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting some more info from my huntng buddy who met the guy who help put this master hunter program together(can't remember guys name?).

I'm being told the QDMA school will be on Sunday Jan 28th.Last Jan it was on Sat - last day of gun season[:'(] Can't find anything on DNREC site to confirm this.Anyway - if all holds true from last year it should be on last weekend in Jan.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody going to attend QDMA school/class 9 AM Sunday Jan 28th in the auditorium at Richardson Robinson Bldg,Dover.

I believe the web site said it runs until 3pm??

If you've never been to this school its interesting and informative.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I talked to Bill Dugent and this class will be on Sunday Jan 28th from 9:00am to 3:00 pm in the Denrec Buld in Dover. He himself will be there as I.

Quick Reply: Delaware DNREC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.