Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Terrible gun season (NY)

Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Terrible gun season (NY)

Hunted fri,sat,sun, and never saw a deer in 7R.5 other guys in camp and nobody saw so much as a tail.This goes down as the worst season ive ever had in NY.Everybody else i talked to had the same results.I hope next year is better but until the DEC opens there eyes it will probably get worse.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

it was a whacky season. starting with the warm weather and virtually no snow. I did not see many deer (hunting over 35 days) but the deer were there (we knew that when we got a little snow for a few days), however, they seemed to not be hanging around our immediate area (at best just passing thru). other issuse were, what seemed to be a greater than normal amount of clear bright nights (seemed like a lot of "full" moon nites) making nite movement more common andless hunting pressure to help move deer. do I think my area (central 7m) needs changes - no. the deer population is adequate, we just didn't see them. was my season "terrible" - never. was it frustrating - at times, yes. just makes wanting to get to next year that much more anticipation.

the hit and miss thing is "spotty" throughout the State and even within units. I know friends that had great success in 7M and even out neighboring camps saw deer (more than us). and that holds true across the State. That is the nature of hunting and wild poulations of animals (I think many forget that). It is always going to be in flux and not always cooperative to us hunters. that's just the nature of the "beast".
Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

My father in law took a 5 point and a nice 7 point yesterday. His brother in law took a4 point and big doe.
They have been dry almost all season... 2 drive produce 3 bucks... 1 doe down... and a bunch of does passed...

Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 AM

I shot a mature doe on oct 14th in 9h I also passed on at least 6 different young bucks on that property during the bow season. I then shot a mature doe in 8g during bow but did not see many bucks in that area. I went back to the 9h area for gun season and passed on5 different young bucks during the gun season and i shot a mature doe. I shot what I thought was a doe during muzzell loader in the 9h area but it turned out to be a 1.5 year old buck with a broken off spike ( no visible antler). That shot was 150 yards with the omega so I guess I just could not tellat that distance, sometimes I can figure it out from body shape but not this time OOps!What was disappointing there where no mature buck sightings for me all season. I will try and finsih the season tomorrow night with a muzzel loader doein the 8G area I found some standing corn near a swamp and hardwood thicket, some of the corn is cut it looks good I hope to be there for the final 2006 sunset! This state is a good place to shot a deer but very hard to shot a mature buck in and i dont see any major change buy the hunters or the dec to make that better. I am going to start hunting more out of state now and spend less of mytime and resources hunting here.