Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dealing with trespassers in New York

Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 AM

Default RE: Dealing with trespassers in New York

Get too know the neighbours real well, especially the ones that live there!

We had a problem with trespassing until we made deals with the family that lived on the access road,, they now watch our property.. in exchange they cut theyre firewood, trap the ponds for beavers, teenagers do some work for us some in the summer, hunt property for grouse, gifts for all 9 kids for xmas and birthdays, pay the wife for baked goods and breads when we are there, over pay the husband for cut firewood... dont have anyone coming in down that road anymore!

Had continuing problems with people coming in on the opposite side of the property by boat. We caught them one year openning day of gun season... surprise surprise it was 3 guys who were part of a huge crew that hunt a neighbouring property... a property owned by the brother of the person who we had the deals with. Threw them out and went right to the guy we made the deal with and told him... we caught your brothersleasee's coming in by boat this morning. You better get on the phone and tell him it stops today! He did and all tresspassing has stopped, the 1 brother has a real good deal going and he knows it.... make a neighbouring property owner want too keep you happy, and they will!

Also helps too get one local police officer who likes too hunt,, give him written permission too hunt the property.. He will make it a point that all officers keep and eye on that property.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I obviously have hit a nerve here, Bawanajim... What I'm seeing is two very different generations of hunters and landowners. I'm guessing I'm quite a bit older than the people making the last few posts here and I'm guessing you all haven't grown up in small rural communites. I've worked all my life and recently retired.

Years ago landowners were farmers (where I grew up). No one bought a chunk of land just for hunting. In the small rural communities everybody knows everybody and hunting was just part of the yearly cycle. There was no posted land. If you were out hunting and happened to see a farmer on a tractor, you walked over and visited for a while. People hunted where they lived......no one went went to another part of the state, out of state, etc. With the completion of the interstate system travel to the small rural communities was much easier. People with money from the cities started buying up land for weekend retreats....not for hunting at first, but for weekend getaways to ski, just enjoy the country, etc. With the influx of the people from the cities came the posting of the land and with the posting of the land came a lot of hard feelings and resentment. Sure, those people paid taxes (like everyone else), but they contributed little else to the community. They didn't buy much there other than a little gas and food when they were there for the weekends or on vacation. In effect, they contributed little of nothing to the local economy. Then there were those who decided to move up from the city and "get away" from it all. Usually what happened was after a year or two they started trying to make things just like it was where they came from....they wanted better roads, better schools, etc. Along with all of
this came higher taxes, higher real estate prices, and more resentment. So, you ad "No trespassing" and "No Hunting" signs on top of all of this and you can see why things became the way they are.

If you understand human nature you will know that lack of control creates anger. Just take a look at some of the things we read about with sporting events when parents, coaches, etc. get upset with a ref, umpire, etc. When a ref makes a bad call, people have absolutely no control over the situation and they sometimes get angry and lose it. Posting land creates a similar situation....people have lost control and become very angry and sometimes do things they normally wouldn't do.

I'm just trying to provide a little understanding here of why posting land creates the problems it does. You also need to understand the type of people you are dealing with. The people who sneak onto posted land, jack deer at night, etc. are not your conscientious sportsmen. These guys are derelicts and to put it mildly they are not very nice guys. I'm not saying they just be allowed to do whatever they want to do because they are how they are.....what I'm saying is that you'd better be prepared to deal with some pretty rough characters.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can assure you that posting land will always create problems..... I'm just trying to shed a little light onhow things have developed over the years and why things are the way they are...

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: tatonka

What I'm feeling here is that good old American greed......Posting land is nothing but a very selfish, self-centered act.

I am the most selfish , self centered person you will ever met. You trespass you go to jail its that easy.

Just maybe if you spent as much time at work as I do then you could pay the taxes on your own land , then you would not have to sneak onto mine !
Old 11-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

My land is open to all hunters. If someone shoots a nice buck, a doe or even a button-buck, great for them...all I ask is "give me a steak". They are not MY deer, I do not own them, I only own the land they are passing through on. People that post their land tweak me to no end, and what really flames my rear are people that post their land and then have the nerve to hunt other people's land that is not posted.

The problem here in NH is people moving in from out of state, buy big tracts of rural land (that has been open to hunting for decades) and immediately post it...FRIES MY CAN!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM

I agree with the permission to a police officer. I am a police officer and have permission to hunt a tract of land owned by some people from out of state. They don't want anyone on thier land. Well one day I caught a group of people driving it, and asked if they had permission, they said yeah but couldn't give me a name of the landowner. I told them I was a police officer and had exclusive permission to be there, and the landowner didn't allow anyone there, asked them to leave and not return unless permission was given to them. No further problems.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kenman

My land is open to all hunters. If someone shoots a nice buck, a doe or even a button-buck, great for them...all I ask is "give me a steak". They are not MY deer, I do not own them, I only own the land they are passing through on. People that post their land tweak me to no end, and what really flames my rear are people that post their land and then have the nerve to hunt other people's land that is not posted.

The problem here in NH is people moving in from out of state, buy big tracts of rural land (that has been open to hunting for decades) and immediately post it...FRIES MY CAN!!!
...the most intellegent thing I've read so far....
and....

I can relate,bro... I can relate...only here, they bulldoze the trees and plant homes.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

It all pretty much boils down to a couple of things. Number one, development nationwide is taking out millions of acres of land that was once available to hunt. We now have more deer in the U.S. than any time in history and a fraction of the land to hunt them on.

The second problem (that I see as a problem) is the incredible boom in deer hunting popularity. Before 1980 there were nomagazines devoted specifically to deer hunting. You had Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and Sports Afield....the big three. You'd see deer hunting articles in the fall and fishing articles in the spring. Now there are several speciality magazines devoted to deer hunting only and the whole emphasis is on the score of the deer. You rarely see a photo without all of the scoring statistics along side of it. For most hunters it's not about getting together with friends, putting up some venison for the winter, etc......it's about who can shoot the biggest buck. We're all guilty of it, myself included. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to shoot a big buck. The problems arise when greed rears its ugly head and it becomes the sole reason for hunting.

I think we are seeing all of the posting of land, land leased out to outfitters, etc. becasue of this obsession to constantly shoot more and bigger bucks. There are landowners here who lease their land to outfitters, but will let "the locals" in to shoot does. In a sense they are throwing their neighbors the crumbs while letting the outfitters skim the cream off the top. I personally fill my doe tags on land that landowners let me hunt bucks on. I feel it's my responsibility to help them manage the deer on their property. We have way too many antlerless deer here. My neighbor on the east side of me leases 1200 acres out to an outfitter. Deer season closed yesterday. This morning there were over 97 deer feeding in his field...... 94 does and 3 small bucks.Pathetic. Guess who's going to be crying to the Fish & Game with they start attacking his haystacks.......

Allowing a police officer exclusive rights to hunt posted property to keep others out is one of the most disgusting things I've heard. That's total abuse of the position you hold and you should be ashamed of yourself, and you definitley should not be in law enforcement.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 AM

its not because i am a police officer, its because i am a neighbor and I didn't solicit them.....they asked me. My whole family has exclusive rights, not just me.If i'm approached and asked by someone to hunt their land I should refuse because I am a police officer and its an abuse of my position....I think not. I think offering a police officer permission to hunt on land is a good idea.After all they are always on duty whether in uniform or not. And sworn to uphold the law. Hunting on someones land without permission because you are a police officer, and stating so would be an abuse of the position you hold.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:28 AM

I myself was dealing with the same problem in Ellington,NY. I was told to call the local state troopers and they went down to resolve this problem. The first offense does nothing but a small ticket second is abigger ticket and third is a felony charge.Trust me they probably won't be trespassing any more when the police talk to them. Bottom line is call your local state patrol office and let them handle it for you.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

"...what I'm saying is that you'd better be prepared to deal with some pretty rough characters."

Luckily, I am a police officer also, so I am ready to deal with rough characters. As a matter fo fact, I found that when I owned my land supposed "rough" characters with guns usually are much quicker to flash them than they are to use them. After showing a few"locals" that I was not of the same persuasion as they were, my problems stopped, which were mostly dumping of trash actually.

Tatonka, like it or not, this is a free-market, capitalist economy. Non-Locals will be buying land in rural areas, and the supposed "locals" have no right what-so-ever to demand any use of said land. As a matter of fact, if we want to get technical, can I demand that NYC gets its fair share of taxes returned considering we pay WAY MORE than the more rural parts of the state, but see more of it spent up there than down here? It's apples and oranges, but the fact remains that a land owner has every right to do whatever they want on their land, whether the locals like it or not, as long as it is legal.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Airborneguy

"...what I'm saying is that you'd better be prepared to deal with some pretty rough characters."

Luckily, I am a police officer also, so I am ready to deal with rough characters. As a matter fo fact, I found that when I owned my land supposed "rough" characters with guns usually are much quicker to flash them than they are to use them. After showing a few"locals" that I was not of the same persuasion as they were, my problems stopped, which were mostly dumping of trash actually.

Tatonka, like it or not, this is a free-market, capitalist economy. Non-Locals will be buying land in rural areas, and the supposed "locals" have no right what-so-ever to demand any use of said land. As a matter of fact, if we want to get technical, can I demand that NYC gets its fair share of taxes returned considering we pay WAY MORE than the more rural parts of the state, but see more of it spent up there than down here? It's apples and oranges, but the fact remains that a land owner has every right to do whatever they want on their land, whether the locals like it or not, as long as it is legal.
Your absolutely right. Landowners can do anything they please with their property. What's legal and what's right and wrong can sometimes be two very different things. Man's laws and God's laws are sometimes in conflict with each other.

Apples and Oranges? Yep....city folks and country folks. Apples and Oranges.

Quick Reply: Dealing with trespassers in New York

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.