Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dealing with trespassers in New York

Old 11-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dealing with trespassers in New York

I wouldn't let anyone hunt on my land either, because I am a hunter and that's the purpose of the land. If I wasn't a hunter, I would have no problem with it because I wouldn't care if some guy walked onto my land and shot a 10 pointer. But why allow someone else the chance to take that 10 on your land when you are a hunter?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

on my other property people where using my land as the shooting range for deer drives... i kicked them out but i guarantee they will be back[:@][:@][:@]but when they are ..i do know a few troopers cops...maybe a sheriff or two

i dont own the land but if i did and someone asked i would politely say no just because they spots are small enough for 3-4 guys like my parrty has
Old 11-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Posting land creates more problems than it solves. It creates hard feelings among local hunters (especially when the person posting the land is not a "local"). I'm not saying it's right or wrong.... All I'm saying is that if land is posted, there are going to be problems. I think a better way is to post signs that say "Hunting with written permission only" and have your name and phone number on the sign. That sends a very different message than "No Hunting or Trespassing.....Violaters will be prosecuted", and signs with similar language.

Some friends have a hunting cabin that was being broken into continually and vandalized. They finally took the lock off the door and put a sign up that said, "You are welcome to use this cabin....please leave it as you found it". End of problems... Go figure. People are funny.

Also, remember that when you post property you are posting it from a lot of people who you may need something from some day. That person you turn down could very well be an EMT on the local volunteer ambulance or a volunteer fireman. Something to think about........
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give me a break!! It's called respecting someone elses property!! Even if the land is not posted you still need permission by the land owner to hunt on the property!!
Old 11-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

That person you turn down could very well be an EMT on the local volunteer ambulance or a volunteer fireman. Something to think about........
So an EMT isn't going to care for me if he happens tobe called to an accident I may have because I didn't let him hunt the land I bought and pay taxes on? A firefighter is going to watch my house burn to the ground? Give me a break.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:11 PM
EBB
Spike

Maybe you need more names - some local groundswell to bring to the law. If there's community concern beyond just yours, maybe that'll help.

My neighbor recently caught some kids jacking deer the Wednesday before gun opener. In their strange bid to sound innocent, they bragged about another kid who's even TWICE as bad. (A 17 yr old pathological redneck who leaves the carcasses in the woods. Doesn't take meat, nothing.)
So, armed with this kids name he goes to the cops and DEC. The DEC asked permission to patrol his land. They said they'd been tipped to this kid before, on account of how bad he is.
So maybe get some names together, draft a group letter.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

That person you turn down could very well be an EMT on the local volunteer ambulance or a volunteer fireman. Something to think about........
So an EMT isn't going to care for me if he happens tobe called to an accident I may have because I didn't let him hunt the land I bought and pay taxes on? A firefighter is going to watch my house burn to the ground? Give me a break.
I never said that.....you jumped to conslusions. The point I'm trying to make is that in the small communities we all are there for each other in many different ways. We not only have the volunteer ambulance and fire departments, but we have little league coaches, soccer coaches, 4-H volunteers, etc. We also have doctors, school teachers, etc. who maybe live in the smaller rural communities for the outdoor opportunties. Is it really asking too much to respectfully ask for permission to hunt on property that is posted?How would you like it if your son or daughter was told that they couldn't play on the little league baseball or soccer team because "We already have too many kids participating"....

What I'm feeling here is that good old American greed......Posting land is nothing but a very selfish, self-centered act.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tatonka

What I'm feeling here is that good old American greed......Posting land is nothing but a very selfish, self-centered act.

I am the most selfish , self centered person you will ever met. You trespass you go to jail its that easy.

Just maybe if you spent as much time at work as I do then you could pay the taxes on your own land , then you would not have to sneak onto mine !
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Tatonka, with all due respect, I don't see how you could say that and have ever owned land. If you did, you would udnerstand. It costs a LOT of money to own land nowadays, and if you care about it, it also requires a lot of upkeep. Owning land is no joke. It is 100% the equivelent of lending your car out. Not to mention the threat of lawsuits if someone gets hurt on your land, which almost anyone would turn around and sue EVERYONE nowadays to make a quick buck. Why should I, a landowner, local or not, pay taxes, a mortgage, and upkeep expenses, and then feel like a I have to allow other people to hunt on MY LAND or else be considered selfish? How is purchasing something, anything, and then expecting other people to respect your ownership of said item (land or not) a selfish act? If Joe Redneck living down the county road doesn't like that I am from the city and own "his" land, then he should have bought it before I did, or offered a higher price.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tatonka

Posting land creates more problems than it solves. It creates hard feelings among local hunters (especially when the person posting the land is not a "local"). I'm not saying it's right or wrong.... All I'm saying is that if land is posted, there are going to be problems. I think a better way is to post signs that say "Hunting with written permission only" and have your name and phone number on the sign. That sends a very different message than "No Hunting or Trespassing.....Violaters will be prosecuted", and signs with similar language.

Some friends have a hunting cabin that was being broken into continually and vandalized. They finally took the lock off the door and put a sign up that said, "You are welcome to use this cabin....please leave it as you found it". End of problems... Go figure. People are funny.

Also, remember that when you post property you are posting it from a lot of people who you may need something from some day. That person you turn down could very well be an EMT on the local volunteer ambulance or a volunteer fireman. Something to think about........
i used too leave my land open too hunting with permission..i said, you are allowed , no bucks under 3 points to side and NO DOE hunting..

well, they shot my doe, i went from 23 down to 7 deer..that was it, no more..THE NEW HUNTERS have no respect for anyhting, my neighbors kid calls it NO FEAR..

Quick Reply: Dealing with trespassers in New York

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.