Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2006 WV Buck Season Coming Up!!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 AM

Default RE: 2006 WV Buck Season Coming Up!!

In MD we can kill 6 bucks total (bow, ML, firearms) and unlimited does in some counties, with other counties having a 10 doe limit.

The last 3 year of hunting our land in WV the bucks were scarce, only 3 bucks and about a dozen or more does taken in those 3 years. This year was all different, first day we took some decent little bucks and a nice 9pt. thru the rest of the week we took 3 anterless, 2 of which turned out to be spikes with less than 3" of length. Both of these deer were shot as does to keep the herd healthy, but turned out to be bucks when we found them.

here is the first days bucks

Old 11-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

good job getblown 5.9!! Good pics too.

... but thru your own admission, 1 buck outta 50 deer... and there's a 3 buck limit? yeah, the DNRs plan is outta whack.
Actually it was one buck out of 49 deer, then the 50th deer was also a buck, but I didn't see him while sitting...I was walking back to the truck. Thanks for the congratulations.

the day before I had only seen 12-15 deer and 3 were bucks. What I'm saying is that of course things are not going to get better overnight (or in this case, in one season) but we should have some patience to see if, in the long term, things do steadily progress from this point forward. After Years of being able to kill 6 bucks per year, the step that the dnr took (to limit hunters to 3 bucks) was definately a step in the right direction was it not?? What all hunters are experiencing are the results of deer seasons past, not effects from this years management plan. The effects from this year won't be noticeable for another couple of years. I say kudos to the DNR to limit the bag limit to 3 bucks and hope that even stricter measures are taken in the future.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

good job getblown 5.9!! Good pics too.

... but thru your own admission, 1 buck outta 50 deer... and there's a 3 buck limit? yeah, the DNRs plan is outta whack.
Actually it was one buck out of 49 deer, then the 50th deer was also a buck, but I didn't see him while sitting...I was walking back to the truck. Thanks for the congratulations.

the day before I had only seen 12-15 deer and 3 were bucks. What I'm saying is that of course things are not going to get better overnight (or in this case, in one season) but we should have some patience to see if, in the long term, things do steadily progress from this point forward. After Years of being able to kill 6 bucks per year, the step that the dnr took (to limit hunters to 3 bucks) was definately a step in the right direction was it not?? What all hunters are experiencing are the results of deer seasons past, not effects from this years management plan. The effects from this year won't be noticeable for another couple of years. I say kudos to the DNR to limit the bag limit to 3 bucks and hope that even stricter measures are taken in the future.
the REAL key, for most areas.... 1 buck per year, regardless of weapon used is what I'd recommend. 1 doe per hunter regardless of weapon used. the DNR will lose $$ initially, however, with better bucks in the future charging $250 for non resident/$50 resident would be acceptable. face it, when you over harvest ANY animal, it takes longer than 1 or 2 seasons to see a difference. if you're managing for quality, then AR is in order as well.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Rem1100

the REAL key, for most areas.... 1 buck per year, regardless of weapon used is what I'd recommend. 1 doe per hunter regardless of weapon used. the DNR will lose $$ initially, however, with better bucks in the future charging $250 for non resident/$50 resident would be acceptable. face it, when you over harvest ANY animal, it takes longer than 1 or 2 seasons to see a difference. if you're managing for quality, then AR is in order as well.
thats a little absurd, i know i cant stand paying $190 now for a 1 week hunting license to hunt on land that my father and i have to pay taxes on. i know if they were to up the license fees anymore i would quit hunting there, and hopefully we can sell our land for 4 times what we have invested in it, to buy some prime land here in MD to hunt.

BTW killing less deer wont make the herd more healthy...it will hurt them

Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 PM

Congrats to those of you that got a buck so far.

Right now I am scoreless. Last week I never saw a deer...no not a one...not a doe or buck where I was hunting in Greenbrier County in the National Forest. I saw turkeys, squirrels and a bear! Heard a pack of coyotes chasing something up the holler below where I was hunting but never saw them or what they were chasing. If I would of saw the yotes, I would of started pouring the lead out!!

I am going to my hunting club this Saturday and see if I can score on a buck.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVHunter129

Congrats to those of you that got a buck so far.

Right now I am scoreless. Last week I never saw a deer...no not a one...not a doe or buck where I was hunting in Greenbrier County in the National Forest. I saw turkeys, squirrels and a bear! Heard a pack of coyotes chasing something up the holler below where I was hunting but never saw them or what they were chasing. If I would of saw the yotes, I would of started pouring the lead out!!

I am going to my hunting club this Saturday and see if I can score on a buck.
good luck...things are worse than the DNR will admit. Greenbriar Co always had big bucks there, and does were at carrying capacity from where I hunted near Neola(yrs ago).
Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: getblown5.9

thats a little absurd, i know i cant stand paying $190 now for a 1 week hunting license to hunt on land that my father and i have to pay taxes on. i know if they were to up the license fees anymore i would quit hunting there, and hopefully we can sell our land for 4 times what we have invested in it, to buy some prime land here in MD to hunt.

BTW killing less deer wont make the herd more healthy...it will hurt them
is it? go to Wyoming and see what you pay for a mule deer(a cash crop just like our WTs)... when the cropharvest lowers, the price must rise , if present budgets are to be met.
as for the ground....sell. everyone else is. and theurbanites are eatin' 'em up. 150K is no money for someone relocating from the 'burbs... but once the land is gone, bye-bye hunting. and taxes are relatively cheap compared to what Md pays, now isn't it?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

In Louisiana Non Resident hunters pay 150.00 for a season pass. 75.00 for a 5 day tag. Can shoot a buck and a doe each day. I paid my 149.00 for one buck and one doe. Didn't mind it, but WV is higher than we're used to in LA.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Seems like full rut here in Roane County. I-79 on the daily commute looks like a butcher shop. Lots of young, late fawns this year and some smaller 7-9 pt bucks have been taken. Not as many deer seen as in the past several years because of lots of mast for them ( for a change!) More of a challange too!

Not able to hunt this year but you folks be safe and have a great time!!!!

Happy Hunting!!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 AM

The farm I hunt in Dodd. Co. we harvested 6 bucks the 1st day, the last one being taken by 3:30. 2-6pts, 2-8pts, 1-9pt & 1-10pt. The other 4 hunters all passed up spikes & fork horns. It's my brother-in-laws farm, about 275 acres, with an additional 150 leased. If anyone takes anything below a 6 pt you won't be allowed back. This has been in effect for about 4 years now & it's working.

Quick Reply: 2006 WV Buck Season Coming Up!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.