Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2006 WV Buck Season Coming Up!!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 WV Buck Season Coming Up!!

Done........Got my 6pt Monday and the doe today.......We're headed back to Louisiana on Friday with two chests full of venison........Don't ya just love West Virginia.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Rem,

My buddies who hunt near Wardensville have a similar story. They did manage one 8 pointer,one 6 and one 4 between about 10 of them, but saw few deer despite maintaining food plots year round. The neighbor outlaws use guns weeks before the season is in and hunt on them, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Still, they usually do much better.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Hey Rem,

My buddies who hunt near Wardensville have a similar story. They did manage one 8 pointer,one 6 and one 4 between about 10 of them, but saw few deer despite maintaining food plots year round. The neighbor outlaws use guns weeks before the season is in and hunt on them, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Still, they usually do much better.
the area is growing due to Corridor H, and the outlaws have always been there,specially 'round Parker Hollow...but that doesn'r equate to the total dcline. The state has prostituted the deer, beyond the intended managment levels.. but it will make for better racks..or so they profess.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt south of Moorefield, there are less than half the deer there were in 2000, but no sightings of more big ones.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Where I hunt south of Moorefield, there are less than half the deer there were in 2000, but no sightings of more big ones.
the facts bear you out Doug... it's actually less than half, according to the DNR info.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't atmy camp this year, due to a family emergency, but they took 3 bucks between 5 of them. One 7pt that was 15" inside, one scraggly 8pt and one spike. They saw a few deer...but they were disappionted.

I hunted all of bow season there, and had deer running over me most times in the woods. This leads me to one conclusion. They have to get farther from the 4-wheeler than 200yds. A couple of our hunters (my father) are older, and that's understandable.

Most hunters now put up a tree stand for gun season. If everyone does this, who's going to move the deer? That's our big problem. We have nobody moving around, and the deer are just sitting on points. You can't sneak up on them from the back, and if you try, they just dump down over the hill...And I can't ever get any drives organized.

I love my 4-wheeler, and use it a lot, but I think that it makes for less people stumbling about and moving deer.

That said, I know the numbers are down from what they used to be, and I can only speak for my area of Braxton County.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back from Hardy County. I had gotten the chance to hunt in Jefferson for 3 "half-day hunts" during the the first of the week, then went to Moorefield on Wed. Night and hunted for the next three days. I had passed on two small bucks in jefferson county as there is a good chance to see a really good one around on occasion.

Thursday morning on our huntin club, I'm not settin in my spot for 1/2 hour until I see horns runnin at me about 200 yds away. They and HE passed by at aboutfifty yards and the deer hit the ground when the gun cracked. Eight Point. Not a wall hanger, but a decent buck for our area back there.Hunt ended for the day. Friday, saw 3 more bucks (spike, 4 and 6 point--all small).
Saturday I had the best day for seein' deer I've ever had. From sunrise till 11 o'clock I was sittin beside the SAME tree and saw 49 different deer. That is (by-Far) a record for me. Only one was a buck (a 4 inch unicorn) the rest were all does, but forty of them presented perfect shots If I had wanted. I was excited by this and this was also the same exact tree I had shot my buck from two days earlier. It's kind of a new spot that I just found late last year. Looks like my new favorite spot.

I think that you guys talkiing about how the DNR plan is out of whack have to remember that this is the first year where the legal buck bag limits have been reduced (from 6 last year to 3 this year, I believe) so it may take some more time, for positive effects to show. BTW we hardly saw any deer on our family farm. My dad and I watched the fields there in the evenings. BUt on our club up in the mountain, deer were thick. I'll try to post a pic here by the end of the week (like I said-nothing huge anyway, but anyway) Good luck all.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Back from Hardy County. I had gotten the chance to hunt in Jefferson for 3 "half-day hunts" during the the first of the week, then went to Moorefield on Wed. Night and hunted for the next three days. I had passed on two small bucks in jefferson county as there is a good chance to see a really good one around on occasion.

Thursday morning on our huntin club, I'm not settin in my spot for 1/2 hour until I see horns runnin at me about 200 yds away. They and HE passed by at aboutfifty yards and the deer hit the ground when the gun cracked. Eight Point. Not a wall hanger, but a decent buck for our area back there.Hunt ended for the day. Friday, saw 3 more bucks (spike, 4 and 6 point--all small).
Saturday I had the best day for seein' deer I've ever had. From sunrise till 11 o'clock I was sittin beside the SAME tree and saw 49 different deer. That is (by-Far) a record for me. Only one was a buck (a 4 inch unicorn) the rest were all does, but forty of them presented perfect shots If I had wanted. I was excited by this and this was also the same exact tree I had shot my buck from two days earlier. It's kind of a new spot that I just found late last year. Looks like my new favorite spot.

I think that you guys talkiing about how the DNR plan is out of whack have to remember that this is the first year where the legal buck bag limits have been reduced (from 6 last year to 3 this year, I believe) so it may take some more time, for positive effects to show. BTW we hardly saw any deer on our family farm. My dad and I watched the fields there in the evenings. BUt on our club up in the mountain, deer were thick. I'll try to post a pic here by the end of the week (like I said-nothing huge anyway, but anyway) Good luck all.
there weren't 49 deer seen in the 3 sq mi area we hunt in...you must be in the re,otest part of the county. BTW,Congrats on the buck,Bro... but thru your own admission, 1 buck outta 50 deer... and there's a 3 buck limit? yeah, the DNRs plan is outta whack. you were the exception in Hardy, instead of the norm,as far as deer sightings go. come over round Parker Hollow, and tell me how many doe you see....
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM

not much luck here for me... i seen a spike opening morning and the rest have all been doe.ive hunted everyday except last friday.......ill be out again in the morning with my brother who came in from NC....... out of the 5 of us who hunt together i am the only one wh has seen a buck

when will we get the limits like OH has?.......i wish we had the 1 buck limit and 2-3 doe limit like in OHio
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bspencer

not much luck here for me... i seen a spike opening morning and the rest have all been doe.ive hunted everyday except last friday.......ill be out again in the morning with my brother who came in from NC....... out of the 5 of us who hunt together i am the only one wh has seen a buck

when will we get the limits like OH has?.......i wish we had the 1 buck limit and 2-3 doe limit like in OHio
bingo!!!

Quick Reply: 2006 WV Buck Season Coming Up!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.