Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine Big Buck

Old 11-15-2002, 08:08 AM

Default Maine Big Buck

I got to my stand at around 5:50am today. I noticed several sets of fresh tracks near my stand so was very optimistic. Saw three there last week. My father and I have a hunting camp where I hunt. He comes on the two way and says he's still at camp having coffee and its 6:15. He usually sits in the area I hunt but not as far in off the road but not far from me. I told them there was fresh sign and was hoping to see one and for him to be very quiet when coming in to his seat or go somewhere else so as not to spook them. Well at 6:50 I heard a stick snap and spotted movement in front of me then saw antlers running off to my right. I picked a spot and fired when the buck went through. Unfortunately I hit a small tree about 4 feet in front of the buck and missed. My dad comes on the radio and says he's not even in his stand yet. The deer was running from his area and was probably jumped by him. I was so mad that he couldn't get to his stand on time and that the deer would have probably walked on to one of us if he had sat down earlier. "Hope that coffee was worth it" Maybe I'll see him again next week, he was a good one. Light colored antlers, probably an 8 or 10 point......
Old 11-15-2002, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Maine Big Buck

No one has ever shot a buck while sitting in camp. His loss.

Hunting the wilds of Jersey
Old 11-15-2002, 12:53 PM

Yeah, but it feels more like my loss......
Old 11-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

You're right in a way--it always sucks when something like that happens. 2 yrs ago in NJ, we did a small drive for my Dad late in the shotgun season. We discussed doing the drive before we headed to our stands and agreed that 9am was the time. Well, at 9am we started walking slowly towards my Dad's stand only to push a nice rack and some does right at him. We stopped pushing and waited for the shot--NO SHOT!! We headed over and he left his stand to go back to the truck b/c he was COLD. We were a little pissed and totally told him what had happened. Now that we have teh radios. we always keep in touch.

Hunting the wilds of Jersey