Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

antler restrictions

Old 10-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: antler restrictions

btbowhunter,its happening with crews driving deer and riding roads..not to be smart, get out to sportsmen meeting,group gatherings, breakfests,get out among the hunters and you will here storys ..
Not to be smart but maybe you shouldnt assume you know how "active" I am or how much I get out "among the hunters" i do get out occasionally. I think my time as an archery club president, Junior archery coach, UBP county rep, Vice president of a rod and gun club, fish and wildlife merit badge counselor for the boy scouts, hunting guide and outfitterand a few other jobs probablyhave gotten me enough exposure to "the stories"
Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

btbowhunter,its happening with crews driving deer and riding roads..not to be smart, get out to sportsmen meeting,group gatherings, breakfests,get out among the hunters and you will here storys ..
Not to be smart but maybe you shouldnt assume you know how "active" I am or how much I get out "among the hunters" i do get out occasionally. I think my time as an archery club president, Junior archery coach, UBP county rep, Vice president of a rod and gun club, fish and wildlife merit badge counselor for the boy scouts, hunting guide and outfitterand a few other jobs probablyhave gotten me enough exposure to "the stories"
true, so you should be hearing what is POSSIBLY happening with antler restriction.. no need for me to bring it up anymore,i dont like what i see or hear but thats way things are ..

i still feel only way to stop this if it is happening is to make it 3 points to side for allor kids only youth hunt on saturday ,adults NO GUNS..
Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The point is that I'm not hearing these "stories" at all among a large number of different groups. Maybe these are just that, "stories", being perpetuated in your area.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a little in PA and what the guys seem to say is people are shooting fork horns and then checking to see if there is a brow time to give them the three points on the side they need. If they don't make the grade they are being left for yote food. What a shamefull thing to do.>>>>Whack!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 10-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Well AR's might work in some areas of the state,less woodedareas of the state say western NY or around st lawrence river.Mostly open areas and lot of farms with fields and crop land.BUT in areas of heavy timber and low farm areas no it wouldn't work.20 years ago most of my area (Delaware county) was farming and had alot open field area.Alot of them cashed itin cause of milk prices not going up or cause just of cost of operation was to much.Now the area is going over or is grown over to woods.Not so much feed and browse so deer to grow into 6 or 8 points so quickly now.It takes about5 years to make it into a 6 point now.Before you could get a 6 after his 2nd year of antler growth.The way I see it any deer you shot should be a trophy. Doesn't matter if it was a spike buck with 4 in spikes or a wide rack 10 point, or a piebald doe.This isn't why I hunt ,for trophy deer.I hunt for meat period.Don't matter if its a doe or buck.I shoot it and it goes into my freezer to feed my family. I buy my 3 tags(bow,muzzleloader and reg firearm)and hope for a dmp so I have 4 and go into the woods.
Now the state wants to put AR's on top of limited or no dmp's in my area.I say NO way.Thats like sending into gun fight with no bullets in the gun.A no win solution.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deerfly

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I'm not saying that is representative of what is happening statewide, but the 2005 annual report stated that 18% of the bucks being tracked that were killed ,were killed illegally by hunters and 2 were poached.
You conveniently left out that the prior two years ofthe same survey showed less than 10% of the bucks being killed illegally. Poaching was also included in those numbers as well. So the number of illegal kills due to AR mistakesis even lower than that.

BTW, wasn't high grading from AR the topic here? Not a revisit of partial and out of context statistics from the PGC that we've all seen over and over here?
No, I did not conviently leave out the 10% figure you cited. The 10% figfure was only the percentage of the buck that were killed during hunting season. The 18% figure I cited was for the entire year from May of 2004 to June of 2005.

The most recent results from studies in Miss. and Tex, showed that high grading occurred across all the different classes of soil fertility. It also showed that even though the ARs in Miss. save a higher percentage of their 1.5 buck than in PA, they didn't see a proportional increase in older age buck harvested.
In the words of old Ronnie Reagan "there you go again" What I said is that the total illegal kill for the PRIOR TWO YEARS was less than 10%.
The link to back me up is: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=465&q=163201
Now I'm sure you can try to twist this up too and claim I'm wrong but please do it without your own spin. Just the facts deerfly!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nys-buckstalker

Well AR's might work in some areas of the state,less woodedareas of the state say western NY or around st lawrence river.Mostly open areas and lot of farms with fields and crop land.BUT in areas of heavy timber and low farm areas no it wouldn't work.20 years ago most of my area (Delaware county) was farming and had alot open field area.Alot of them cashed itin cause of milk prices not going up or cause just of cost of operation was to much.Now the area is going over or is grown over to woods.Not so much feed and browse so deer to grow into 6 or 8 points so quickly now.It takes about5 years to make it into a 6 point now.Before you could get a 6 after his 2nd year of antler growth.The way I see it any deer you shot should be a trophy. Doesn't matter if it was a spike buck with 4 in spikes or a wide rack 10 point, or a piebald doe.This isn't why I hunt ,for trophy deer.I hunt for meat period.Don't matter if its a doe or buck.I shoot it and it goes into my freezer to feed my family. I buy my 3 tags(bow,muzzleloader and reg firearm)and hope for a dmp so I have 4 and go into the woods.
Now the state wants to put AR's on top of limited or no dmp's in my area.I say NO way.Thats like sending into gun fight with no bullets in the gun.A no win solution.
when we had a lot of deer, i had no problem killing a doe, old one, never young one..never a button buck..i have not shot a doe in 10 years do to lack of doe in wmu 2g here in pa..

personelly,under conditions we are seeing here now, it should be 1 deer and your done in wmu2g..i like AR restriction and yes, i am horn hunter so i feel that way..

you are meat hunter, 2 different hunters,heck i like venision too but i am not going to kill doe off so future is bad here hunting..

i have friends that are now going as far as philadelphia to get doe..they also go to ny so they can get more doe..these hunters were always meat hunters, not out for a nice buck,only for meat..

sadly, we that want to see deer last for kids future and ours too here in wmu 2g are losing battle..hunters that were always after meat are now complaining that there are no deer..isnt that something, i wonder why??

they are even now turning in poachers even tho some of them ARE poachers or were POACHERS..local paper had article about all calls that wco are getting now from hunters reporting poachers..they even said that poachers are turning in poachers,they are right on that..

MEAT is driving some crazy now.. i had hunter on sgl252 come up thru field yelling at me that i was getting in his hunting area during pheasant hunt last week..he looked nuts in his eyes and wanted all the pheasant MEAT for himself..this is publicland and some think its theirs..

its all about getting that bird/deer meat and some are getting real nutty now..when there was lots of deer/pheasants, you never heard this,now its regular occurence..

somehow we have got to look at ourselves and see what we are doing to future hunting and understand that deer just dont grow in great numbers when they are overharvested like is being done in wmu2g..

when i was at sgl252 last week i got to talk to hunters at parking locations..most askled WHY i was hunting in their area and not up north for pheasants..i said, we dont have pheasants you folks have and we have to go other places to hunt..

1 even said people like me are SLOB HUNTERS..can you believe that..i guess he did not want me to return to sgl252..

well, i got news for him, i will be there again this week,its publicland and i am no SLOB.. ..
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe that many locals are starving to death.
Gotta be some bad times to make folks fight over bird meat.
No wonder there are no roadkills visible. They must get picked up for dinner before they even get cold.
Anyone ever try 'yote meat?
Plenty of them around.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Funny that you say that livbucks.Up to about 5 years ago.If some one hit a deer with a car and didn't want it.THe local sheriff dept had a list of people who would come get it to feed their families.I was on the list anfd I never turn down any of them. I would process it myself and give some to a local family who was down on their luck.The now say CAN"T do that because of some legal hotshot lawyerfiled a lawsuit against the state of NY.Because his client got lyme disease by processing a deer himself.
sproul man I can understand your point of view.But right now in my area of NY state.The state cut out DMP's for my area til 2008,Now the northern part of the county is under a2 yearpilot program using AR's plus no DMP's this year.The state tried this in another part of the state hopeing for good results but it fell way short of what was predicted.So what they do try another year of it.
Any way you look at it.You'll have 2 point views. For itand against it.

Quick Reply: antler restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.