Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY BOWHUNTING ??

Old 10-25-2006, 07:06 AM

Default NY BOWHUNTING ??

I'm going up to my bothers house tomorrow and he lives in the madison county area(NY) and was going to do some bow hunting. I was up there last in may and found a nice place to put a stand. SO, I DID !! Now it's time to use it......
So does anyone know if the pre-rut started up there or is it already going on ?? I'd love to know before i get there. Someone, on here has to be in that area, or atleast close by. Only, hunted 1 day so far and that was in long island 1c.
The stand is right off a green field that he sees deer in everynight. He even cleared a path for the deer to walk for easy access to the field. And he's against hunting... figure that...
Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 AM

Default RE: NY BOWHUNTING ??

I'm going to Steuben County the week after next, and I've been asking the same questions. My friend up there lives on 400 acres and has been filming bucks everyevening (and morning). He says that the bucks at his place are just beginning to split up, and he's been seeing scrapes for a couple ofweeks. The bucks are wandering around, but not really chasing anything yet. The fights he's seen behind his house have been long, but not intense. Mostly young bucks who spar for awhile, and then feedside by side. I hope that they can hold off for about two weeks. I'd like to catch the end of the pre-rut! Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

howd u do in 1c?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Opening day I had a buck dogging a doe grunting. 2 days later I watched the same but make a scrape 15 yards from my stand. I would say it is pre rut now. I think the weather affects it more than anything and its been cold.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Had a doe come in todaysniffing my tink's #69 the whole way. She got so close I ould have spit on her! But of course there was a couple of nice saplings between us and I couldn't get a shot. She didn't makeme until about 5 feet. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt Madison county. Pre-rut is here. Seen small bucks pushing does. I also missed a huge buck sunday with my bow that had his nose down to the ground and was following a doe. Scrapes and rubs are all over.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 AM

Where in madison county are you. I'm right by colgate university. Only 2.5 miles away in fact. The deer here are huge, big body, and big racks.... but you have to find them or Just get real lucky. I have killed a deer every year for the last 6 years, and i could have had atleast a spike every year. I stopped shooting spikes a while back(my choice) I use the doe for my meat in the hopes that maybe we can let the young 1's grow and keep the BIG RACKS around for awhile. But if anyone is looking for hunting property in NY this is 1 of the good places to hunt. It's no steuben county.. but close and no real hunting pressure. Some opening days in gun season.. you may only here 5 or 6 shots all day.. I like that !!