Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

Is it just me or are we a little late with the pre rut this year? By now I'm usually seeing the immature bucks doing a bit of confused wandering. Havent seen that yet on my spots even with the cold weather. I'm just wondering what you all are experiencing out there.

Maybe tomorrow will be different....
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

BT i havent seen anything yet, but my buddy hunts some prime time farm land and he told me that sat. he saw least a 3 1/2 yr old chasing a doe hard. and yesterday he was out w/ his brother and they had the video and i just got done watching it and a 10pt came right in to his tinks that he put out. did not offer a great shot and didnt stick around long. but in his area seems like the big boys are moving around some.
hope things pick up for you and me
good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, I don't know what to make of things this year. I'm seeing zero rub/scrape activity in my areas. I slipped out of work yesterday and scouted a new area near work that usually holds a ton of deer. I saw a ton of tracks and droppings as expected, but the spots that are usually littered with rubs and scrapes are void of any such sign. I failed to find a single rub in the entire area. I did see a guy today with a nice heavy 8 point in the bed of his truck. He said it was just wandering by itself when it came in to him. I think the rut is going to occur after the season has ended.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

livbucks....what part of pa r u in
Old 10-24-2006, 08:07 PM

hey guys I was in Green county saturday seen a couple does thats it !
was out fayette county no activity their either ! saturday i hope something is happening.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Things were slow up in our area of NE Penna for a while but this past weekend a saw a few fresh rubs and scrapes. Not the amount of most years, though. We usually have a rub on every other tree in the overgrown clearcuts. I still think it's a little early. I also saw a nice 120"+ eight pointer sparring with a spike out in a hay field.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd say we are definately into the Pre-rut here in Lycoming Co. Usually Oct 21 is coined as the first day of the "hard" prerut. Monday I saw a 2.5 year old wonder, Tuesday night same thing, Wednesday he was out again looking when a 4.5 year old kicked his arse. Tonight I watched a 2.5 year old aimlessly wondering, he was on a mission. It's picking up, I don't think we're late, right on time. It had been fairly warm which didn't help daylight activity.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 PM

I have seen a few youngbucks by themselves and some scrapes as well...I think each year the rut comes in a littlelater then the years before....Our calender system does not match that of the deers... Like todays date oct 24th falls on a tuesday next year the 24th on a weds 2008 on a friday..You see what I am saying...Every year is goanna be diffrent from the year before...Plus the daylight times and moon phaseschanges also year to year for the date....Just my 2 cents on the thought about the rut...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemond35

livbucks....what part of pa r u in
Allegheny County, Where are you?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live about thirty miles west of Pittsburgh and I'm seeing scrapes and rubs everywhere in the woods. There has been a sharp increase in the amount of roadkill on my way to work near the airport. Usually that is a sign that the pre-rut has began.

Quick Reply: PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.