Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Area 2F, Plenty of deer!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Area 2F, Plenty of deer!

Thanks for the info R.S.B.
What a clever tactic.
I figured the ML would be loaded, as there would be little use in trying to ram a projectile down the barrel with deer watching you.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: germain

The only curiosity turkeys have is how the hell they're gonna get outta there!
Boy you got that right.

Turkeys, coyotes and mature bucks all lack in curiosity. In fact I don’t think they have an ounce of curiosity among the whole lot of them. If they see it, smell it, hear it, just plain sense it or don’t understand it in every way they just leave and you probably will not even know they were ever in the area.

Dick Bodenhorn

Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The bike idea sounds like a good one. Does Cabelas sell a deer rack for mountain bikes?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

The bike idea sounds like a good one. Does Cabelas sell a deer rack for mountain bikes?
I have a Cabela’s two wheel deer cart and a mountain bike. I installed a rack over the back tire of the bike and then bolted a piece of flat stock steel over the top of the rack. I then drilled a hole through the rear of the steel and put a 1/4” bolt up through it that sticks up about 2 inches. I then placed a couple of large flat washers on the bolt and secure them with a wing nut.

I took the cart and drilled a 3/8” hole through center of the handle, put an eye bolt through the hole, double nutted it on both sides then bent the bolt slightly downward so it sets level on the bolt through the rack on the bike. I can then put the eye bolt over the bolt and lock it all down with the washers and wing nut. I let the eye bolt just loose enough it can pivot with turns and mounting and dis-mounting the bike.

I can place a deer on the cart, hook it to the bike and ride out over the gated game lands or Forest Service roads. When I come to an up hill area that I can’t pedal up I get off and push the bike with the cart still attached. If I find an steep upgrade and it gets too hard to push I unhook the bike and put it on the cart with the deer and just pull them both up the hill until I can hook up and ride again.

I have brought a lot of deer out, from miles back in the closed roads, in this manner and it works great. Just make sure you have good brakes or un-hook the bike and haul it down the steep hills. It can be hard to stop once it gets going too fast down a steep hill and it would be easy to have a serious accident.

I also wired a dish draining rack over the rack on the back of the bike. I can put a turkey or my coat in that basket type rack without interfering with the deer cart attachment. It works great for turkey hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! I was poking a little fun but it sounds like you got this bike thing down to a science. We used to walk in to buzzard swamp quite a bit and havent done it lately. Maybe I ought to think about dusting off the old mountain bike!