Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I just don't get some hunters!

Old 10-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I just don't get some hunters!

Back early Sept I put up a portable stand in NY state woods. A state woods that borders our private property. The area was a loaded scrub apple tree just tore up with deer sign. The stand is cabeled & locked. I used a climbing stick I take in & out to access my stand, and prevent theft. When I hunted it for the 1st time this past wknd someone had marked a flourescent orange paint trail through the woods, spraying paint on tree's every 10yds. They went right along the base of the tree my stand was in. 40yds beyond it, and marked a big X on a tree. I thought well its either loggers marking a skidder trail, or some moron hunter who can't make their way through the woods too well. I last used the stand Sunday 10/15. Oh I also have a game camera up about 20yds from my stand, thats also been up since early Sept. My brother hunted the area yesterday, and tells me now someones placed a ladder stand not 20yds from my portable, and not 10ft from my game camera. It too is right on the painted trail. Now either this person is a complete idiot, or has no respect for other persons setups. I know its public land in all, but why would anyone want to setup a stand right near someone elses. I find it hard to believe they haven't seen my stand, and camera. Crap like this just disturbs me. So I guess when I run back down I'll remove my stand, and camera, and leave the idiot a nice written note on respect for others setups. The other odd deal is I've never in the last 8yrs I've hunted this spot ever seen another bowhunter in there. Its not easily accessible. It takes me close to 1hr to get in it, and setup.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I just don't get some hunters!

Maybe he is soo dense that he never saw yours. Isn't it illegal to paint tree's on state land. Some of us are hunters and others just are out there. I only hunt state land on weekdays because of some of the others.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Be glad you still have your camera and stand. I'd hunt it anyway if you have that much faith in it.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, I simply just don't get fellow hunters or people for that matter. Rude, me first, no human compassion or common courtesy anymore.

Personally I don't tolerate rudeness, I'd confront him/her/it and ask for an explanation and voice my displeasure. At least you didn't find him in your stand.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Isn't it illegal to paint tree's on state land.
It's also illegal to leave a stand on stae lands in NY. You can't store personal property on state lands.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:21 AM

I think Charlie P is correct on this one, I don't think one can leave a stand on state land. I can understand the frustration when other hunters have no respect, but I have seen it sooooo many times in my hunting career that I have almost become immune to it. As a group hunters have got to have the least amount of respect for others who pursue the same pastime. Do hikers, skiers, bicyclists have the same amount of contempt for each other? I don't think so. It is really tragic that hunters have so very little common sense. Then we wonder why the media and everyone else think so low of us. Hunters have put this bad rap on themselves in my opinion!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie P, I checked the DEC website for regulations under the Use of State Lands. I can't find anything other than what pertains to open camping, and structures for personal property. I did read the section on defacing, destroying, and damaging trees. That I'm well aware of, and why I use a portable & climbing stick. I'm not aware you cannot leave a stand unoccupied upon state lands. Do you have the section? I'd really like to know.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

BuckAlley if i were you i would not move your stand, show this a-hole that you were the first there, and if he won'nt move, tell him no ones going to get anything cause your coming in with a live Band. Do Not Give in tothese peoplethey think theycan do what they want. Rich
Old 10-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I had a situation one year in PA where we had some moron, who had not permission to be there, try to tell me he was going to hunt from my stand on my parent’s property. He even pointed his gun at me! Anyways, my dad soon came behind me and convinced the person that leaving now is better the trespassing charges. I just don’t understand how some people think sometimes!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

It's called public land for a reason , first come , first served .

Quick Reply: I just don't get some hunters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.