Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Right Time for Scents

Old 11-14-2002, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default The Right Time for Scents

A little advice please...

I don't generally hunt with scents or lures. No smell at all has been my way of doing things. But yesterday I found an area less than 50 square yards that had 6 hot scrapes in it. They were at the edge of a (approx.) 4 acre bedding area. Just below on a ridge heading toward bedding are a number of trails that lead down to a creek. I was thinking of setting up about 50 yds outside that bedding area close to the scrapes alongside those trails.

Now the question:

Is right now (November 14 in southern Maryland) the right time to use a doe-in-heat scent as a lure?

As always, I appreciate any insight.

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 11-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The Right Time for Scents

Well yes, if you put a little scent out they might come to it, but why would you want to when you've got 6 scrapes with all of that natural scent lingering there?

Go in and set up...keep the wind in your favor..
No smell is good...keep it up..

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 11-14-2002, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I've been using a combination of scents in NJ for the last week and have had some success. I have a crape about 20 yds in front of my stand so I put a scent wick sprayed with James Valley. A spike actually came in on Sat and licked the wick and knocked it to the ground. I also put out a line of scent but none of the bucks cruising the area stopped and came in.

Definitely try the scent as you never know.

Hunting the wilds of Jersey
Old 11-15-2002, 07:30 PM

Mizzou, I am still seeing very fresh scrapes here in Calvert co. Every property I go to. Yes I am still going to use doe in heat lure. Try to get upwind of the bedding area and put the lure in a couple scrapes that are in range of your stand. Let the wind carry the scent into the bedding area. But you better be scent free to do this try to stay at a crosswind but put the scent so it blows right into the bedding area. Good luck.