Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ Hunting?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 AM

Default NJ Hunting?

I got a package from the Game commission in NJ telling me how wonderful the hunting is there. IS it really that good or is a promo to sell more out of state Licenses?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM

Default RE: NJ Hunting?

I'm only going from one season's experience on hunting public land such as the Assunpink and Collier's Mill, but I found that laughable. You will see far more quadders and horse riders than you will see deer. If you even see any deer, as the only one I saw was a dead one my friend had shot. Chances are if you live in Pennsylvania, you have really nothing at all to gain by hunting in Jersey. Only 3% of the state hunts, but with so little land available that still means it's crowded. Almost caught buckshot in my face while still hunting when a drive came through and shot at a deer between me and my friend. Also, we have lots of people that move here from out of state for some reason. City people that buy land in what remaining open land we have. Then call to report anyone hunting or any gunfire they hear.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Not about gun season (have heard some bad things), but I love bowhunting in Jersey. Although this year is slow for me (haven't seen one deer yet!), last year was great with lots of action on public land. big deer in parts of Jersey, and there are tons of them. It has the highest deer to human ratio in the country.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

Airborneguys got the facts right. Grant it if you go to the Assunpink area during buck week you will see tons of people but that is because the clubs go there after they get tired of sitting in there stands in the morning on there propertythen theygo to Assunpink to drive deer. I have seen them 50 at a time. But bowhunting is a different game. Get a mountain bike andride to the furthest swampy area you can find and hunt!Me and my friendshave always taken deer in the 90-110" range. There are not quaders as there are no motor vehicles allowed and either hunt where there aren't any horse trails of go where they are not allowed to go/ride. I have hunted there since I was 17 and can't keepcount ofthe deer and turkeyI have taken. Oh yeah alsothe all nighterbass trips on the main lake and stone tavern lake. They are there but you have to look for sign and bedding areas andgo in and get em.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Where is Assunpink? I have been concentrating on Double Trouble State Park, but I am getting tired of it. Tomorrow is its last shot, then I think I am trying a new area.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Airborne, your best bet is the monmouth county park system. Its been open for three years and there is hardley anyone there during bow. It is open in the upper part of the crosswicks creek area beginning on rt. 537. You can also look on the map for a place called Walnford park that is located in the watershed. You do however need to get a permit at a regional office, or online?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I've been in the Monmouth Parks: Crosswicks and Turkey Swamp so far. Turkey Swamp deserves more scouting than I was able to put in this year. Next year I will be putting some time in there.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM

Do any of you guys hunt near the Delaware water gap? I always wondered if it was any good. I live near Milford PA.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Its funny you mention the Gap.Me and a buddywere thinking about doing the shotgunopener up there. I was also thinking about getting the bear permit if i go. From the hiking I havedone up thereI thinkthe deer are less predictible with the movements but with a good slug gun and some hunting pressure I'm sure you will see deer opening day. I have seen guys camping in the parking lots and leaving for the stands at 4am! If you wanted toget away from everybodyall youhave to do is walk in a few miles and I bet you wouldn't see a soul.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 PM

I hunted there years ago my family would go up for the first and last day of buck week, the key was the more people that hunt there the better it was, the deer moved all day. On our last trip my Dad killed a buck that was the 53rd deer to come by him.

Quick Reply: NJ Hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.