Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I'm so sick I could puke. It's one of "those" nights!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm so sick I could puke. It's one of "those" nights!

When a hunter makes a bad shot, there is no punishment greater than the one he imposes on himself. Forgive yourself,but learn from it.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be calling Deer Search
What is Deer Search?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Deer search is a group of volunteers (I believe) that have dogs that are trained in tracking and recovering wounded deer. I went to a wildlife show a couple of years ago and learned about it. I think they are the only people in New York that are allowed to use dogs in trying to recover wounded deer. A friend of mine called one of their members and they came out and recovered a deer for him but the coyotes had already found it. He tried to give the guy some money for helping and the guy declined. I've heard other good stories about this group. They seem to be more than willing to help a hunter out.

Mike
Old 10-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Phade,

I agree with youand Livbucks and a few others here. The fact that he didnt bed once and the sign you described and the pics of the arrow make me much more confident that he will survive.

A few things to remember.... there are three kinds of bowhunters: Those that have had a similar experience, those that will and a few liars who might claim it never happened. Whats more important than the bad shot is how you handled the situation afterward. You were diligent above and beyond in your efforts to either recover the deer or ascertain that he will likely live on. Thats all we can expect of you and all you should expect of yourself
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phade, I guess by sounds with what little blood you had you did all you could, and he'll probably survive. Must'vebeen a real low hit, and not struck anything vital. Although I have seen vital shots, and the deer never laid down. But there was more sign than what you had.
Last fall my brother hit a nice buck, high. He nicked at least 1 lung. We tracked him from 9am well into the dark. Only breaking 1x for a quick sandwich. He backtracked on us 1x, and had us stumped for 3hrs looking for any spots. I finally found a set of running tracks, going back the way he'd came from, and figured had to be him. Almost 100yds away I found a pinhead size spot of blood. After that we found blood clots he musta been blowing out his nose. We tracked into the night, and lost last blood. He was close to 1 mile from where my brother hit him. I went back the next morning alone, my brother had to go to work. I found only a couple more spots, and led me to posted land. I didn't dare go any further not knowing the owners, and learned they weren't from that area so I couldn't even get permission to continue. The next wknd my brother found the owners, and told him they'd found a dead buck the wknd before, and the coyotes had gotten it. The same morning I'd been looking alone. They said he could go look to see if was in same direction his had gone, and sure enough 100yards into their land from that posted line was his deer. But somebody else had cut off the rack alreadly. He saw the hit spot, and it was high just like he thought. That deer never laid down 1x or slowed up for squat. But he also bleed more too. Sometimes I guess ya just never know what these darn deer are capable of. Just amazing what they can do, and recover from.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Phade, I guess by sounds with what little blood you had you did all you could, and he'll probably survive. Must'vebeen a real low hit, and not struck anything vital. Although I have seen vital shots, and the deer never laid down. But there was more sign than what you had.
Last fall my brother hit a nice buck, high. He nicked at least 1 lung. We tracked him from 9am well into the dark. Only breaking 1x for a quick sandwich. He backtracked on us 1x, and had us stumped for 3hrs looking for any spots. I finally found a set of running tracks, going back the way he'd came from, and figured had to be him. Almost 100yds away I found a pinhead size spot of blood. After that we found blood clots he musta been blowing out his nose. We tracked into the night, and lost last blood. He was close to 1 mile from where my brother hit him. I went back the next morning alone, my brother had to go to work. I found only a couple more spots, and led me to posted land. I didn't dare go any further not knowing the owners, and learned they weren't from that area so I couldn't even get permission to continue. The next wknd my brother found the owners, and told him they'd found a dead buck the wknd before, and the coyotes had gotten it. The same morning I'd been looking alone. They said he could go look to see if was in same direction his had gone, and sure enough 100yards into their land from that posted line was his deer. But somebody else had cut off the rack alreadly. He saw the hit spot, and it was high just like he thought. That deer never laid down 1x or slowed up for squat. But he also bleed more too. Sometimes I guess ya just never know what these darn deer are capable of. Just amazing what they can do, and recover from.
I knew the shot was low right away. I had a few single brown hairs on my arrow, but at the impact site, only white hairs with absolutely zero blood on them. I had to have literally passed or partially passedthrough the belly just below the stomach, without touching it. That was my intial observation when I hit the deer, and I was hopeing I hit is good (or poorly depending how you look at it)enough that I did in fact herniate it. At least it would have been fatal, instead of hurting this guy.

I'm leaving the area be until Friday, and I'm going to return to the same stand and do an afternoon hunt. Not so much as to get another shot at him there, but I have a solid view of his typical exit point from his bedding spot in this woodlot. It'll at least tell me if he was willing to return, or if I should be on the lookout for birds circling, etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Deer can do things that are unbelieveable.My father when he was alive and I think the last time he went deerhunting,shot a doe that was standing broadside with the her left side facing him.He made a bad shot and hit her low. The bullet with though andhit her r/front leg. She went down and took off before he could get another shot in her.There was onlyabout 30 minutes of light so he came back to the house and got meand we went back with a laitern to where he shot her.Luckly there was snow on the ground and she was leaving a good blood trail.We track her til 11;30 at night without her laying down.They say a deer will run down hill when hit,well someone forgot to tell this deer.She was going up hill and down and everyway possible.We went back the next morning,were we stop tracking her.And started all over again following tracks.To make a story short.we finally got caught up her.She had made almost a complete 5 milecircle.I made a shot on her about 200 yds across a field she was going across.All said and done she was about a half mile from where she was shot the first time.
3 years ago I shot a small 6 point with a bow.Track him for 2 days and lost his blood trail.Later on during rifle season I shot the same buck and his wound fromthe arrow was almost completely healed.I had made a low shoton him. The arrow went though just below his lungs andheart.They were the ones we recovered.Last year I lost a nice 8 and looked for him for 3 days.Seen him about a month after the season ended.Walking with aslight limp but alive.Seen him about 3 weeks ago witha bigger rack and still a slight limp.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nys-buckstalker

Deer can do things that are unbelieveable.My father when he was alive and I think the last time he went deerhunting,shot a doe that was standing broadside with the her left side facing him.He made a bad shot and hit her low. The bullet with though andhit her r/front leg. She went down and took off before he could get another shot in her.There was onlyabout 30 minutes of light so he came back to the house and got meand we went back with a laitern to where he shot her.Luckly there was snow on the ground and she was leaving a good blood trail.We track her til 11;30 at night without her laying down.They say a deer will run down hill when hit,well someone forgot to tell this deer.She was going up hill and down and everyway possible.We went back the next morning,were we stop tracking her.And started all over again following tracks.To make a story short.we finally got caught up her.She had made almost a complete 5 milecircle.I made a shot on her about 200 yds across a field she was going across.All said and done she was about a half mile from where she was shot the first time.
Yes that is amazing, and looking back on it, I bet it is a great memory being such a good one with you and the old man on his last hunt. Sorry to hear he is gone.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:02 PM

http://www.deersearch.org/index.htm

NEAT!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I know exactly what your talking about. On Oct.30 I hit a 160 class 10 pt. dead in the shoulder. I got 4in. of penetration. I got all of my arrow back, he broke the head off at the threads. My arrow is mushroomed like I shot into a brick. I was hunting in SE Iowa. I couldn't get myself out of bed the following morning to go out hunting. I've been bowhunting for about 24yrs. and it still happens every once in awhile! Its part of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.