Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Earn-A-Buck Decimation of High Point State Park

Old 11-13-2002, 10:25 AM

Default Earn-A-Buck Decimation of High Point State Park

Let me start by saying that I went to High Point SP on Monday for the first day of the special permit muzzleloader hunt that has been going on there for the last few years now. Let me tell you guys that this place is testament of what happens to prime deer range after several years of relentless Earn-A-Buck regulations (i.e. all hunters must shoot a doe first before shooting a buck).
The park issues 350 permits for this hunt and in the entire day I only heard 25 shots fired. I proceeded to talk with over 30 hunters that day, and the grand total of deer seen was 4!! What the hell do we need to shoot more does there if deer numbers are so low already?!?!
I also went to the check station and by 5:30pm only 19 deer had been checked in and the estimated number of hunters afield was 275!!! The biologist there was actually surprised that the kill was so low lol. What the hell did they expect after multiple years of relentless slaughter! Well, I guess that this is what the state wants, the complete elimination of whitetails from this state.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Earn-A-Buck Decimation of High Point State Park

Not surprising given our states ultra liberal regulatiosn for slaughtering deer. Even though Zone 2 is not earn-a-buck, the quality has gone way down and there are less deer around. My friends in the earn-a-buck ZOnes report much less deer.

If the state would look at the succesful deer states such as those in the midwest, they would fine the answer to building a quality herd.

By the way, why do we pay so much in fees only to have this shoved down our throats?

Hunting the wilds of Jersey
Old 11-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Earn-A-Buck Decimation of High Point State Park

IT DOESN'T TAKE 10 YEARS OF COLLEGE AND A PHD TO REALIZE THAT THE NJ FISH GAME & WILDLIFE SCREWED THE HUNTERS, AND THE DEER.

JUST GO BACK TO WHAT WE HAD IN TERMS OF THE DEER SEASON LENGTH, HARVEST PER SEASON, INCLUDING QDM. GET RID OF THIS EARN A BUCK, UNLIMITED ANTERLESS, EXTENDED SEASONS WEATHER ITS EARLY OR LATE. IM SO TIRED OF THE BS THEY TELL US, THAT IF THINGS DONT CHANGE IM FOR ONE WILL NOT HUNT NJ, NOR WILL I BUY ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH HUNTING IN NJ, A % GOES TOWARDS FISH & GAME. ILL HUNT EITHER PA, OR NY OR MAYBE JUST SAVE MY MONEY AND GO ON A WEEKS HUNT TO MAINE, GOD KNOWS ILL SEE JUST AS MANY IF NOT MORE DEER IN MAINE THEN IN NJ.