Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any WV bowhunters...

Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Any WV bowhunters...

hillbillyhunter1, good story. Sorry to hear about the bow issues, but at least yours was just dropped. Last year I ran over my son's bow!!! Had to get new quiver, new arrow rest, new overdraw...yes we still use overdraws...and yep after all that his sites were off. So I feel your pain!

Went out Saturday in the rain and the wind. Didn't see anything.

Looks like this coming Saturday may be a good day, and then I have the 7th and 10th of November off from work so you know where I will be.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM

Pro-Line
I'm all for gettin up ina tree in some nasty weather so I did head out on Saturday. Got in a tree about 3:00pm and as soon as I got situated, here came the wind and the snow. Then it cleared for about 20 minutes, then darkness and heavy rain and snow. This went on until I finally gave up when I heard thunder around 5pm. I don't mind wind and rain, but I can honestly say that's the first time the wind's blown hard enough for me to reach back and wrap an arm around thetree just to feel safe.

In my experience, deer will move when it rains consistently (in fact I killed my first deer last year in a downpour) or when it clears. If the clearings only last 20 minutes or so like they were, they never get comfortable enough to move. Just my experience.

Anyway, saw nothing and escaped before the last few storms hit. Going to try to get out an afternoon this week. I'm suprised at those talking about rutting bucks already.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas, I finally made it happen today. I've been on vacation all week long. On Monday I was hunting a scrape line and saw 5 bucks. I had a nice 8 pointer within 20 yards making a scrape but couldn't close the deal. It stayed just behind a beech tree and was facing me the whole time until it finally decided to do a 180 and walk straight away. There was a nicer 8 point standing about 40 yards away watching the smaller 8 make the scrape. The last time I saw them they were walking off together. Later in the morning I saw another smaller 8 point and a 4 point walking single file on the bluff below me. That evening I witnessed a really small spike stand up on it's hind legs in a scrape biteing the overhead branches. At first I thought it was feeding on the leaves but then I realized he was leaving his scent on the limbs above the scrape.
On Tuesday morning I had another spike come in at 13 yards but he stayed in the brush just enough to prevent me from getting a high percentage shot so I passed on him. On Tuesday evening I moved my stand 40 yards over the hill onto another scrape line. I had to go really high (30 feet) up into an oak tree in order to keep from getting busted on the upper side. Just as I got situated 2 dogs ran 4 deer past my stand and then the wind picked up. I left and didn't hunt at all on Wednesday.
This morning I was in my stand just after daybreak and spent the first 15 minutes with the range finder looking at possible shots and yardages. At about 8:00 an 8 pointer came in and was standing about 15 yards from the tree I had been hunting in. I was thinking to myself that I made a mistake moving farther down the hill. I ranged him at 40 yards. I was thinking of taking a shot but that's out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't risk it. It went over to the scrape that the bigger 8 pointer had made on Monday and that's when I gave a couple soft grunts. He turned and looked down hill but then turned and walked out of sight. I gave a couple more soft grunts and at the same time I could still hear him walking. He went into the heavy brush and circled coming back around on the flat below me. I ranged this spot earlier at 20 yards but it's a steep angle because I'm so high in the tree and he's facing me..........no shot. He turned and walked farther down hill through a lane I had ranged at 30 yards and I drew my bow hoping he would stop and give me a shot. He didn't stop in the lane but just past it under a overhanging limb and he turned for a look back. I checked my no peep, it was perfect, placed my 30 yard pin above his shoulder and squeezed of the shot. It looked good and the deer took off. I wasn't 100% sure that it hit exactly where I aimed and if it was off it could have been a gut shot so I decided to give it some time. I sat in my stand until 11:00 and then got down to look for the deer. I followed a good blood trail for 75 yards and there he laid. What a great feeling. Sorry, no pics because my daughter has our digital camera. He's not the biggest buck I've killed with a bow but will certainly be one of the most memoriable.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go crittergitter, Sounds like you played the whole thing "textbook".

I went out this evening on a little farm and a couple of guys that rifle hunt it (they don't bowhunt) were out shooting their guns in the field. I was a little depressed but not angry (although they could go to a regular range for that). Anyway, although the commotion ended about3:45, the deer (even though I backed away from the field as far as possible) didn't show. Oh well, back up another tree tomorrow. I'm hoping to get out with more regularity this coming week--should be good. Good luck all
Old 11-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out again this evening and there was a good bit of activity. Had three does and a Red Fox (3rd one I've seen in 5 hunts) come right by the stand early on. The BIG news is right near dark, I saw a real nice 8 point chasing about 8 or 9 does. He was runnning them hard and they were bustin' brush to stay ahead of him. they all were about 80-100 yds from my stand although one of the pursued broke off and headed right for me. It's too bad she wasn't the specific piece he was interested in. I bleated and grunted a couple of times but am sure they couldn't even here me. It was pretty much a 30 second stampede that covered about 200 yds of ground til I couldn't see them anymore--could still here them though. Next Hunt, Tuesday Evening unless I get a lot of work done early tommorrow. Good Luck all.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out again this evening and I saw HIM. Had to be a 150'' class 10 pointer of better. Standing out about 3:30pm in the middle of a brushed up field. watched him for about 10 mins just milling around (looked like he had probably bedded earlier in the field and was just now getting moving). Me and my buddy stood there watching him, changed our plans and snuck around and set-up in front of the way he was sloooowly heading (took him about 30 minutes to cover 100 yards) he ended up crossing about 60 yds from my buddy. Other than that (which still made for a great evening just knowing he was within a couple of hundred yards) things were unbelievably slow for this time (which should be red hot). I think it is the moon but things got to "break loose" soon. Next hunt either thurday evening or Friday morning. How's everyother mountaineer (or mountaineer wanna-be)doing???

good luck all
Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

it looks like no wind for Fri....about time...I was 4 for 4(4 days hunt/4 extra windy days) so I'm giving it a whirl Fri... calling for very warm weather next week...upper 60s...PERFECT for a cold-natured hunter like me....I'd rather hunt in short sleeves what? the deer in Fla and La and "Bama do fine in the warm climates... don't need it cold to rut..that's a wives tale. Good luck to all.....hunt safe
Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

My perfect weather is 40 degrees, crunchy leaves, and almost still, but not too still. Zero wind means any noise you make is amplified. I'm heading out here soon myself.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 PM

the deer activity has been really good this week.I hope to be able to get out atleast one more time this week
Old 11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

My perfect weather is 40 degrees, crunchy leaves, and almost still, but not too still. Zero wind means any noise you make is amplified. I'm heading out here soon myself.
well Bro... you ain't gonna like the forcast then.,... WARM!!! yeah... it costs to heat the house, you know... also looks wet for the latter part of next week.... somethin' tells me we're gonna have a soggy opener on Monday....and warm.

Quick Reply: Any WV bowhunters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.