Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How many Pa guys will pledge........

Old 09-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many Pa guys will pledge........

Good luck this year BT.Hey send those dispersing buttons over this way.
That distance would be a serious dispersal.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howdy smoke.I be one of those stick throwers.T.V. hunting shows really don't trip my trigger so watching guys hunt a fenced in ranch at Texas isn't reality for me.I choose not to shoot a doe for a couple different reasons but for one the numbers in our area are down because basically all the private land is open to hunting.I guess you could consider me a trophy hunter because I do enjoy mounting the rack and in years to come thinking back about that particular hunt and telling the story as friends ask when looking at the mounts.I save every rack I kill as do with gobblers and grouse tails.There just seems to be something special to me about eating a critter then making a mount which I consider a trophy and keeping it for life.A grouse tail is also a trophy to me.To some a doe is a trophy and I guess it's up to the person to decide.I would love to get a bear mount.Maybe this makes me sound like a bad hunter but I'm simply trying to explain my perception of a trophy.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Germain. I got a 150 class whopper that lives on my best property. been watching him grow up now for 3 years and his time has come! I just hope he happens by my stand while I'm in it. Good luck this season and if you decide to venture down into 2D or into 2F drop me a PM!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:38 PM

I have alwaysmade a point not harvest BB's and will continue to pass on the future bucks.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Well since I have 2 doe tags for 2C that are going unfilled this year I’m in
Old 09-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I personally don't care if the deer I get is buck, doe or button buck.

I'm not a trophy hunter so rack size doesn't matter to me, just so it is legal.

I like venison. Jerky, butterfly chops, steak, burger and smoked.

If given a choice between an adult doe with fawns, I will shoot one of the fawns, passing on the adult doe.I feel thatby passing on the doe allows at least one fawn to possibly survive the rest of hunting season. I never felt comfortable about shooting a doe while the fawns stand and watch me approach mamma.I had that happen and didn't like that feeling.

If I can tell which is a button buck, that is the one I will shoot.

I feel small bucks already get lots of protection. I see lots of bucks in Greene Co. but many are sub legal. Last year I had one guy tell me he saw 15 bucks on the first day on the farm I hunt but only two were legal. He couldn't get a shot.

I'm sure many won't like my opinion, but I'm being honest about it, sorry.
Windwalker, it may surprise you to hear that you're not bthe first Greene County hunter to say the BD ratio seems skewed toward too many bucks. I dont hunt there but I've heard it enough from folks that I know to be reliable to say that you may be doing the right thing down there. As I said, I dont hunt there but I think we'd agree that it is unusual to hear "too any bucks" these days from anywhere.

I have seen it happen on a small scale in a controlled suburban deer program. several years ago enough hunters were reporting a disproportionate amount of small buck sightings. Word went out encouraging the harvest of BB's and in a short time all seemed normal again. Now, I think most pass on Bb's and things seem to be staying balanced.

the point is that no strategy works for all in all places but in most of PA we can all benefit from voluntary BB "avoidance" IMHO
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe since Greene Co. has the 4 pt. restriction, that AR are working the way the PGC wanted them to in that WMU.

I see many different sized bucks. There are some dandys but there are lots of small bucks.

I often wonder, if since all the yearlings with nice racks are being shot, taking those genes out of the gene pool. I realize rifle huntings doesn't take place until after does are bred but those nice size yearlings are being removed before the following year's does are bred. After a few years this may have an impact. We see lots of spikes and fork horns.

Not being a trophy hunter, such as yourself, I've had to pass on several not being able to see 4 points. I've often thought of dedicating an entire season to just hunting a trophy but just never did.

To be honest, I've taken many bucks but only 1 or 2 would even be considered nice. Yet, I've been more excited over some of the smaller bucks than the nice ones. I guess if I held out for one individual, that would make it more exciting.

It is exciting to see lots of bucks compared to when I was a kid and saw very few. But it is frustrating when you can only take a day or two off of work and you have trouble seeing a legal buck, yet see several that are sub legal.

I live in Westmoreland Co. but have to travel an hour and a half to get to the farm in Greene Co. I usually hunt locally through the week after work when I'm not taking the kids somewhere.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what we see a lot of in Greene Co. This is my daughter.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another

Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

i try not to...but stuff happens. me and dad BOTH scoped down one deer. big body..looked like a mature doe. dad was about 50yds away and the deer was between us and infront of both of us. we both scoped its head to check for antlers. i checked hard....i was going to take a head shot and had it cranked on 9x at 35yds away. couldnt see anything. dad shot before i squeezed...it was a BB...tinnnnny little buttons..decint body for a yearling. dad was mad at himself. i told him i had my scope on 9x and was preparing for a headshot and was looking hard and couldnt see the buttons..he said he looked too. just cant see them sometimes...so i am not pledging because i know if i did id kill a BB and get SLAMMED by you guys...we all try not to...but if it happens it happens....atleast we TRY not to.....alot of guys dont even go THAT far...

Quick Reply: How many Pa guys will pledge........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.