Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What happened to the Blueberries?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What happened to the Blueberries?

I thought I noticed this last year, but really wasn't sure until I saw it again this year........The wild blueberry bushes around our camp, located in Northcentral PA, Clearfield County, are rapidly disappearing. They are being replaced by some sort of low-to-the-ground berry bush or vine. The fruit has the appearance of a small black raspberry when ripe, and only about 1/4 the size.
Does anyone else notice this? If so, does anyone know what this is, and is it going to end up eradicating the blueberry? Hard to make pancakes in the morning with an unknown and woefully small fruit like this. I think the bears are going to be "ticked off" about this, also.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What happened to the Blueberries?

sounds like an invasive species of some sort. i dont goto my buddys camp anymore. there were 2 huges blueberry fields. we didnt know it forever. the owners girlfriend used to come up on weekends with us and she found them. made us muffins from them one weekend. my goodness were they good. i ate more then i picked...and still had enough for a ton of muffins. she was an awesome cook though. the wild blueberries were awesome. not as big as store bought...but delicious...man i miss that camp. the owner quit going up and never finished it. it was a basement with a flat tarpaper roof till he decided to finish it(ran out of money..divorce took it all....) but he never got around to it long later..needless to say it about fell apart. never maintained the oil heater etc..we quit going there. i miss it though......
Old 09-23-2006, 10:00 AM

i ain't a botanist person, but a lowhanging bus/vine thing with raspberry like fruit only smaller sounds like mile-a-minute to me, i could be wrong, but it is not nice stuff, around my camp in potter county (bailey run) the DCNR and the PA Dept. of Agriculture just spent a couple of days going around people's camps and the local streambanks and stuff, with round-up trying to spray it all and kill it,(if the DCNR is willing to spray round-up on something, you know it's gotta be bad cause they hate to spray) once it get's etsablished it goes everywhere fast, the Sinnamahoning State Park near me has it real bad, pushing out their food plots they have planted and everything, but of course they not doing anything about the state park yet. I'd give a call to the PA dept of Ag. thats what i was told to do if i had questions about stuff like that, they can help you with ID and stuff from there.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stillhunter .280----Thanks for the insight. I'll do some more investgating, and phone calls and personal visits to those in charge of possible action. To me, wiping out of the blueberries is just totally unacceptable.