Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE Archery Season - September

Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 AM

Default RE: DE Archery Season - September

Heading out in a hour or so. Gonna try ground spot that hasnt been hunted since open day and never in the evening. There were some early rubs in the area the last time I was poking around in there. Gonna be a warm sit. Wishing for that 50 degree weather we had a few days ago.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Had a little excitement today. Had 2 yearlings come in at 615pm. Had multiple broadside opportunities within 10 yds but let them go. I was ground hunting so it was pretty cool being that close. They might have weighed 45lbs though. I know nice tender meat, but just not something I could take to the butcher. Ask me how I feel in January if the freezer is still empty

Anyone else venture out today? It was warm and muggy. Plenty of Skeeters. Cant wait for the cooler weather to return.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Spike

I went out the friday before last and it looked like it was gonna rain. I could even hear thunder. I got out later than I wanted. I was settled in a 5:00. At 5:45 I got a text message about a party down the road that night and when I was returning the call I saw a deer coming. It was a nice doe and she was alone. She walked out at 20yds and I sent my arrow right through her shoulder. I heard her crash not 50yds from me. I climbed down from my climber and went in after her right away since it started to rain. I then took her to the local butcher shop. I had her gutted,skinned and hangin in the walk in by 7:00. I was home before it got dark and dinner wasnt even done yet.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:32 AM

I was out Saturday morning, we were being lazy and only got there about 1/2hr before legal. Should have been there 1hr as when we were going in, we kicked out 5. Never saw another deer. One thing that might of messed us up, which we didn't realize until after we were done, was the property owner had a big bond fire last night, and it was still smoldering when we left. It was blowing in direction of our stands, anyone think this would keep deer away? Going Wen. Afternnoon next.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 AM

Went out sat. morning with nothing, on my way out I checked another stand that I was planning on hunting sat. evening with my daughter and jumped a big doe off the feeder, was about 8:00am, went to that stand in the evening, got hotter than you know what and never saw anything. I did hear a fawn yelling down on the next property over when we left, sounded like he got left or lost, kinda weird. Not sure if I will be able to go much this week, might try and go sat. evening looks like a storm is gonna come in sunday, might work out. Good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 AM

Congrats to Bambklr for his doe! Great job.

I probably wont get out again until Saturday. Hope the weather is good for an evening hunt. Mornings are a waste at this point where I hunt.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Spike

Well fellas I went out tonight to cape henlopen state park west. "DOD FARM" I was setled in by 4:00 and the wind seemed to be east/ north east. At 6:10 I heard somthing coming through the oak woods. I told myself to stand up but didnt. Then there they were right on top of me. A big doe and 2 youngins. I was literally looking through the bottom of my climber. I had to wait a good 5 minutes to get stood up and by then I had no shot. They fed away on acorns and finally at 50yds I had a shooting hole. I shot right over her. Figures since I then ranged them for 42yds. I stayed standing as the deer trotted away and then began eating again. It wasnt 5 minutes and here came 7 more. All does. I waited to see if the bucks were there and they werent. I passed on a chip shot at 15yds on what looked to be last years youngin, looking for a shot on one of the big girls. After eating acorns they fed through the holly in front of me and never gave me a good shot. All of the deer were under 30yds now. It was then when I looked for that smaller doe. And there she was at 25yds quartering away with her left leg out eating acorns. I figured 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush right. WHACK and she ran off. I could see the exit wound perfect in her off shoulder. When I got down I was admiring the red arrow stuck in the ground and I looked in the direction she ran and wow. There she was not 40yds. It was a perfect afternoon. I told my self to go in to that white oak hole I have hunted since before the state purchased it. The accorns are dropping heavy and it looks like hoggs have been in there. I will be returning there this week. But I will be waiting on the bucks. They have scrapes and rubs every where in there. I never even gutted the deer until I got home. Not wanting to contaminate the area any worse than I had already. What a great day. OH and the doe I shot ended up being 125lbs dressed, and it was the little one. The other girls must have been around 150. They made her look little.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:14 AM

Nice going Babmeklr, your having a great week! 125 pounds is a nice doe. I'm going out this afternoon, I'll post back later.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 PM

Great job Bambeklr, congrats! My week is pretty wellfilled up with my daughters activitiesuntil friday night, hopefully these cool nights will stick around and they will be moving! My wife has now changed my plans for saturday night, gotta go to delmar...but its not so bad I get to eat crabsrather deer hunt thought[>:]Good luck to the rest of you for the rest of the week!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey - Congrats on the deer.
My son rode thru the park last week and called me to say there was Albino in the field across from nature center.Wonder how long that deer will last.

Alot of deer in that park for the pickins.BD ratio is way outa whack.All I've ever seen down there is scrub bucks.Not enough habitat to support all the deer.

Quick Reply: DE Archery Season - September

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.