Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

Old 09-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

If the funding were there to fill all of the vacant Food and Cover Crew positions there would probably be even more grouse habitat cuts, but it does take manpower to get the work done
What about volunteer programs? Are there any? Hunters Helping Habitat or something to that effect?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:43 PM

Your welcome.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazy Horse RVN

Where exactly can a listing of which Game Lands recieving this type of managing be found?
If you contact the local Wildlife Habitat Manager or someone on the Food and Cover crew for the area of interest you can probably find out what areas of each game lands have grouse management blocks and cuts.

Dick Bodenhorn

Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

If the funding were there to fill all of the vacant Food and Cover Crew positions there would probably be even more grouse habitat cuts, but it does take manpower to get the work done
What about volunteer programs? Are there any? Hunters Helping Habitat or something to that effect?
Yes, we do use volunteers for habitat projects on the game lands, but it is very difficult finding people willing to volunteer for such work. That type of work requires a good bit of manual labor as well as the saws, equipment and experience in their useneeded for establishing the cuts.

We have a little bit of interest, from one or two Sportsmen Clubs, in winter browse cutting to benefit deer but not much local interest in creating grouse habitat. Of course even those deer browse cuts also benefit the grouse populations.

Incidentally this is possibly the best grouse brood year I have even seen, so it should be great hunting this year.

Dick Bodenhorn

Old 09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Host of Hosts

Yes, we do use volunteers for habitat projects on the game lands, but it is very difficult finding people willing to volunteer for such work. That type of work requires a good bit of manual labor as well as the saws, equipment and experience in their useneeded for establishing the cuts.

We have a little bit of interest, from one or two Sportsmen Clubs, in winter browse cutting to benefit deer but not much local interest in creating grouse habitat. Of course even those deer browse cuts also benefit the grouse populations.

Kinda sums it all up. Hunters want the benefits, but don't want to help make things better. That's why I say we are a bunch of lazy whiners for the most part in Pa. Too many folks running at the mouth, but when it comes to lending a hand or donating funds they scatter.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not everybody try.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

then pgc wants to have kid grow up to be a doe hunter not buck hunter.our fathers raised us as BUCK HUNTERS.it was a kid growing into man thing.you only killed a old doe if too many were in your hunting area. never small doe or fawn.our dads instilled that in us.
Sproul, don't you see, that attitude is what led to the messed up herd PA had, and further to the herd restrictions. Instead of worrying about getting a buck you can "brag about", hunters should be worried about keeping the herd healthy and balanced, which is what the states ask us to do. That old time PA thing about "getting my buck", even if its a little spike, has to stop. I personally would be much prouder to shoot an old doe with my bow, than to to shoot a 6 inch spike. But my father raised me to be a DEER hunter, not a buck hunter. Now I am not condoning or condemning the PGC, I am just saying you need to start listening to biologists when they tell you what is good for the deer hers, not old timers who tell you "ya gotta shoot the first spike you see so you can brag to your friends about it".
rooster,the only time we ever shot spike was when we were 12 years old and dad did not like that to much. you make mistakes at 12 years old.we controlled deer in our hunting areas. we never killed off the doe in great numbers like is done now. we had some real wall hangers of a buck too.i agree, habitat was better because trees were not big and shaded ground like now. i dont agree that deer did the damage.blame the over grown shaded forest. i took ride on the fire area in barneys run rd. i could not believe the amount of ferns growing. it looked like i was in the amazon .nothing will grow because of shade.unless dcnr cuts down trees, hunting will get worst.i also agree that for last 40 years ,DEER was king not trees. NOW, thats changing. money is in the wood ,not deer.so, things could get a lot worst than now.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

not everyone,try.do to lack of game,its hard to get hunters to donate to anything.sportsmen club here lost over 1,000 members,but may make it up with bird watchers and hikers and canoers, not hunters. things are changing.this is why i feel our gun rights will be in trouble soon with all this doe killing. hunters are giving it up. slowly other groups are moving in. they just named our sportsmen club a new name. its called NATURE AND ENVIRONMENTAL CLUB. i hope we can all see what is happening. when the new sport, TOURISM AND PA WILDS gets moving,i fear our hunting rights will be RESTRICTED. these people DONT like us running around with guns.you should see look you get when you are walking on a hiking trail with a pistol.you thinkhikers are going to let you carry pistol while they are hiking with family, NO WAY!!.folks, when hunter numbers go down do to age, lack of game,kids that are not interested,then you can bet your life, guns will be a thing that will be shuned in woods.i see it and i think i will still be around to say, I TOLD YOU SO.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Host of Hosts

Not everybody try.
thats why I said for the most part.. Really speaking honestly, how many hunters do you know that put time into scouting( more than a day) talking with land owners practicing with their gun or bow. The majority on this board probably do these things as our passion brings us here. But thousands of Pa hunters buy a license,the day before they should have their doe tags in, or the day before season starts, buy a box of shells(probably not even the same grain bullet they used last year) and pile up a bunch of clothes and a few cases of beer and head to a buddies camp. Or just drive to a spot where the saw a deer cross the road a month before. Theses are the peole I speak of being lazy. These are the ones who spend 2 maybe 3 days a year hunting and EXPECT a deer for their 20.00 license fee.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 AM

"RSB" I intend to contact the land manager in WMU 3B for info on grouse projects on Game Lands #12 & #36 (Total of some 42,ooo acres) , but I'm curious as to what amount of acerage the parcels that have recieved this treatment on Game Lands in your sector have been? Do thay exceed 1000 acres, 2000 acres or what is the average size acerage?

Quick Reply: PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.