Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

Another comment to the end of your post Doug,I'm not a negative person and recognize the good things the PGC provides and does.However I also do not blindly follow any org or political party without having questions or disagreements.Case in point,I'm a diehard republican but sure don't agree with everything they do.Same goes for the PGC.I'd need some sort of happy pills to walk around in full agreement with everything and everybody.It doesn't hurt to question things.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think your a negative person Rich.I don't think you fully understand the reasoning behind everything but you're not one of guys crying foul every time you turn around.By the way,I don't agree with everything the PGC does either.However,i feel they do alot more good than many on here give them credit for.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Ifwewant small game hunting likemany of us old buzzardsenjoyed 30-40 years ago, someone would have to replicate the good small gamehabitats commonly found back then: Numerous small farms with dense fencerows between fields; Farms that didn't use as many pesticides and herbicides back then,nor used tilling techniques that are common today; Different schedules of haying and harvesting of forage crops than are used today.

Plus several other factors that are different on today's farms than years ago when such places harbored good small game populations, many of which have proven detrimental to small game populations.

As for predators, especially hawks and owls, ain't a damn thing the PGC can do about what some consider to be too many...they're also protected by the Feds. I can see more rabbits inour back yard on most days, than we ever saw in one day,30 years ago, on goodfarm habitats. And there are hawks, owls and foxes in thewoods out back.Rabbits ain't changed a bit, only thing that's changed is,that what was once huntable ground here, is nowfull of houses.

I suppose they could try converting thousands of acres on variousSGLs into prime small game habitat, by duplicating the farming practices of the 50s and 60s, but who would pay for that and would it evenwork?

Pheasants are an entirely different issue. While they once thrived on most of those old farm habitats, they don't do well today and probably never will. The didn't belong here in thefirst place and while I sometimes miss the good ol' days of great pheasant hunting, ain't sure we should still be spending money on something that wasn't native to PA.

Squirrel hunting has never been better in most of the areas I'm familiar with, but few even bother to hunt them now. Grouse have always been up and down, near's I can tell after 45 years hunting them. Perhaps the Grouse studies will hit on something that works in a wide variety of habitats, but it's been my experience that they only thrive in limited areas of the state and are very habitat-dependant.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:25 PM

The Executives and Board of Commissioners should make the effort to read the PGC's Grouse Study Report. It is a wealth of information that states if our forests (on Game lands) were managed as prescribed by the study, Pennsylvania could have Grouse number that would rival MN, MI, and upstate NY.

The PGC could start improving small game by complying with their own study finding and positiveresults.

The agency could also give a much needed boost to the Wild Pheasant reintroduction program now underway (that is experiencing success). The PGC contributes "$0.00"Dollars to this effort.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

doug, as some said here, they do get OVERTIME. my point is this. deer hunters pay for pgc. monkeys dont. we need pgc to be out at night stopping poaching.not chasing monkeys in philadelphia gettos.that will not pay bills. let countys investigate this monkey business. i know, you will say, sproul, its pgc job to do it.well, when there is no pgc do to silly things like this and no deer ,which means,no hunters buying hunting licenses.dcnr knows with time they are going to get that pgc lands. notice lately that pgc is spending more time with, bugs, monkeys, barn owls, eagles,elk,fischers,rattlesnakes,wood cutting permits,on and on.even r.s.b sees what is happening and attending and holding HABITAT meetings explaining how to grow trees.pgc is now a eco -environmental group.it is not their fault.they know RENDELL wants this, will be elected.sadly, our hunting and gun rights are in biggest danger in history now. i sat at table in harrisburg years ago and heard this.pgc employee working table said to governor, which was ridge, he said,governor dont forget us on money. i heard it.governor said, I WONT. this is same thing that is NOW being done with rendell.if rendell wants deer gone, pgc will do it. deberantius is only doing what rendell wants on dcnr.special interests are controlling our deer hunting now.rendell is their BOY!!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

The agency could also give a much needed boost to the Wild Pheasant reintroduction program now underway (that is experiencing success). The PGC contributes "$0.00"Dollars to this effort.
www.pheasantspa.org

Meeting Results
On February 2, 2006 Pheasantspa.org, Pheasants Forever, and the Pennsylvania Game Commission had a very positive meeting and open discussions about the future of pheasant hunting in Pennsylvania. This meeting opened a new chapter of cooperation between Pennsylvania’s pheasant hunters and the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

We discussed the Mentored Youth Pheasant Hunt, the return of the Christmas hens to the 37 counties in the North Zone, and the development of a long-term pheasant management plan. Also, we got a verbal commitment from Executive Director Roe to return to the propagation of 200,000 pheasants when they get the financial resources.

The Mentored Youth Hunt is back! With the return of the Mentored Youth Hunt we can have a very positive impact with youth hunters this fall. With the consideration to return all or part of the Christmas hen release to the thirty-seven counties that comprise the North Zone, it would return forty-seven additional hunting days for pheasants. We were very impressed that Executive Director Roe agreed that a long term pheasant management plan was a good tool to use for the future of pheasant hunting and that the Pennsylvania Game Commission would work with Pheasants Forever on that plan. Developing that long-term plan could include wild trap and transfer of wild pheasants if suitable habitat is available.

Commissioner Isabella was instrumental in bringing us all together and all of Pennsylvania’s pheasant hunters owe him a lot of gratitude.

Our slogan worked UNITED WE STAND - DIVIDED WE FALL.

Our work is just beginning…

Join Pheasantspa.org – fight to save Pennsylvania’s pheasant hunting
Join Pheasants Forever – build the habitat that a viable pheasant population needs
Support the Pennsylvania Game Commission – they are on our side, communication is the key

Pheasantspa.org will follow up on these commitments and keep working hard for Pennsylvania Pheasant hunters.

Some of the attendees:
Carl Roe – Executive Director – Pennsylvania Game Commission
Cal DuBrock - Wildlife Management Director – Pennsylvania Game Commission
Carl F. Riegner – Propagation Chief – Pennsylvania Game Commission
Gregory Isabella – Commissioner – Pennsylvania Game Commission
Shon Robbins – Regional Biologist – Pheasants Forever
Brian Hanna – Pheasantspa.org
Jay Delaney – Pheasantspa.org
Steven Biello – President – Philadelphia Hunting & Shooting Sportsman’s Clubs

Developing that long-term plan could include wild trap and transfer of wild pheasants if suitable habitat is available.
AsI understand things, PheasantsPA and Pheasants Forever arealready working onsuccessful introductions of South Dakota "wild" birds on some CREP areas and more projects are planned in the future, with other birds in other areas. Possibly with PGC cooperation, should funds become available. Another reason to support a license increase, sounds like to me?Stay tuned.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:22 PM

"Possibly with PGC cooperation, should funds become available."

There's a posibility that the wild birds may come from Montana this year. Weather and availability being the factors. But why hasn't the agency been doing this years ago? We all know that "Funds" won't become available this year. And they justmay not be available next year.
Pennsylvania has money and manpower for an elk program where only 40 to 50 hunters benefit. Pheasants could provide hunting for many thousands of hunters.

The reinstatement of the Christmas pheasant release happened because of hunter outcry and disapproval of it's elimination. Remember they were going to eliminate the Youth Pheasant Hunt until some of us complained loudly. Imagine that, "Short Sheeting" the kids. The Board approved the elimination. I'm glad to see they came to their senses. It should never have been eliminated in the first place!

There's not a sportsman's group that would oppose a wild pheasant reintroduction. Remember Pennsylvania has over 275,000 acres in the CRP/CREP program. More than enough land to begin reintroduction.

There are some who will always refer to Pheasants as "Ditch Chickens." Fortunately those fellows are in the minority. Such negativity only impedes progress in this effort.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Such negativity only impedes progress in this effort.
Well, yes it does.

If all of these other groups can work with the PGC towards a common goal, why can'teveryone do it? Perhaps the consistantly-negative comments like thoseoften posted here towards the game commission, are the root of theproblem?

Old 09-02-2006, 07:59 AM

There's a way to deal with those who disagree. They could all be shot and then we could all live happily ever after.

It'sfundimentally American to question governmental practices. It has been my experience that asking who, when, where and why can be conducive to a long and productive life. To go along simply to get along can result in a shortened life span. Sometime you have to think for yourself, and not let government rule without explanation.

Had the agency paid greater attention to the antics of Game Warden Bimber perhaps his strange habbits would have been noted and appropriate actions to correct him been applied. As it is now they have to suffer the embarrassment he has placed upon them and they in turn have to back him up and probably wonder what to do with him sono further embarrassment to the agency occures.

Also, the agency should be working with all groups and not dealing selectively with a chosen few.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

At some point, most people eventually figure out they'll be far more effective by fighting for what they believe in, but cooperating when that's the best recourse to make any meaningful progress. I won't compromise on the Second Amendment and any other freedoms guaranteed to us as citizens, but beyond such things, little would ever get done without some form of compromise and cooperation.

Deer management and pheasants, while very important to many of us, do not rise to the level of cutting one's nose off to spite one's face, just to make some vague point.

Then again, some spend their entire lives butting heads and creating discord, with little to show for it but a smug grin that impresses no one but themselves.

Quick Reply: PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.