Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Default RE: PGC MONKEY BUSINESS

REPEAT:

"RSB" I intend to contact the land manager in WMU 3B for info on grouse projects on Game Lands #12 & #36 (Total of some 42,ooo acres) , but I'm curious as to what amount of acerage the parcels that have recieved this treatment on Game Lands in your sector have been? Do thay exceed 1000 acres, 2000 acres or what is the average size acerage?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazy Horse RVN

REPEAT:

"RSB" I intend to contact the land manager in WMU 3B for info on grouse projects on Game Lands #12 & #36 (Total of some 42,ooo acres) , but I'm curious as to what amount of acerage the parcels that have recieved this treatment on Game Lands in your sector have been? Do thay exceed 1000 acres, 2000 acres or what is the average size acerage?
I don’t have access to the amount specifically in grouse management blocks for Elk County though I am sure the local Land Management Officer does. Nor do I have the total amount established during the many years of creating grouse blocks in the County. I can tell you though that there is a lot of acreage that has been developed as grouse management on the game lands in my district.

I do have a listing of the amount of wildlife habitat work done in just the past year by the three man Food and Cover Crew here in Elk County. This is only including the habitat projects that I felt would be a benefit to grouse.

Project……………………………………⠀¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..amount planted of acres treated

Browse cut………………………………………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..64 acres
Mountain ash release……………………………………⠀¦â€¦..3 acres
Daylight apple trees (cutting shade producing trees)………….454 trees
Daylight hawthorn…………………………………… ……….. 40 trees
Create new grouse blocks……………………………………†¦20 acres
Plant evergreen trees……………………………………… …...9700 trees
Plant deciduous trees……………………………………… …...5700 trees

Besides what has been created by the food and cover crew, on the game lands, we also have commercial timber cutting and various habitat projects on the National Forest and even the private land, some of which is done by their personnel and those same food and cover employees that work on the game lands.

There really is a lot of great wildlife habitat work done by the Game Commission , even though some don’t want to believe it.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 09-08-2006, 05:38 AM

Please don't take this as being argumentative because it's not meant to be. When I speak of implimenting a project such as exists on State game lands #176 where the Grouse Study was conducted I'm refering to large tracts of forest selectively groomed for various stages of growth which is vital to maximum grouse numbers. (Keep in mind, as I'm sure your already aware of, that this type of habitat configuration is prime for many species of animals, Game and Non-Game.)

The Grouse Study area is near 2000 acres. Now I don't expect that other similar projects would necessarrily be of the same large size, but I would expect that the parcels dedicated to this type of treatment would at least be in the neighborhood of 100+ acres at the smallest. Anything less would not be feasable for a profitable timber harvest plan which is a major consideration within the Grouse Study.

My point is that I find it hard to believe that you would not be aware of large tracts such as I discribed in your area dedicated to Grouse. Since you speak of many such programs in existance it appears unusual that you don't have that knowledge.

To be sure, I will contact the Land manager in my Grouse hunting area to find out whathis take is on the matter. But for the record, your figures show nothing like what you claimed.

Create new grouse blocks……………………………………†¦20 acres"

"All of the game lands in my district have had a good bit of block cutting designed and intended as grouse management even though it benefits many other game species as well."

Twenty acres is in no way what any hunter would consider "a good bit."

Old 09-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazy Horse RVN

Please don't take this as being argumentative because it's not meant to be. When I speak of implimenting a project such as exists on State game lands #176 where the Grouse Study was conducted I'm refering to large tracts of forest selectively groomed for various stages of growth which is vital to maximum grouse numbers. (Keep in mind, as I'm sure your already aware of, that this type of habitat configuration is prime for many species of animals, Game and Non-Game.)

The Grouse Study area is near 2000 acres. Now I don't expect that other similar projects would necessarrily be of the same large size, but I would expect that the parcels dedicated to this type of treatment would at least be in the neighborhood of 100+ acres at the smallest. Anything less would not be feasable for a profitable timber harvest plan which is a major consideration within the Grouse Study.

My point is that I find it hard to believe that you would not be aware of large tracts such as I discribed in your area dedicated to Grouse. Since you speak of many such programs in existance it appears unusual that you don't have that knowledge.

To be sure, I will contact the Land manager in my Grouse hunting area to find out whathis take is on the matter. But for the record, your figures show nothing like what you claimed.

Create new grouse blocks……………………………………†¦20 acres"

"All of the game lands in my district have had a good bit of block cutting designed and intended as grouse management even though it benefits many other game species as well."

Twenty acres is in no way what any hunter would consider "a good bit."
The 20 acres of grouse block in Elk County was just what was cut last year, those are adjoining additions to the grouse blocks that were already in existence form previous years and work projects.

The way I understand it the grouse blocks in Elk County are just about like what was done on SGL 176 though perhaps on a smaller scale.

I think they cut blocks, in a checker board type manner, about every five to ten years, so that when it is finished you will have several blocks of about equal size that are in one of about four or five different age structures. That way all of the blocks are in one of those various stages of seedling/sapling to pole stage timber stages that are most used by grouse during their various stages of annual life cycle. Since grouse, like many other species, require and use different habitat types, throughout the year, this block rotation method seems to be what works best for long term grouse management.

I will admit that I have not followed the management plans for SGL 176 so perhaps you have information about what is occurring there that I have not read.

But, I think you would find a lot of effort being put into grouse management plans on many of our game lands. That work is being conducted both by commercial timber operations and our own Game Commission Food and Cover crews. I am also sure that we all wish we had the resources to do more grouse blocks, just as we wish we could do a lot more for wildlife populations. We could if we had the manpower, which first requires having the funds to implement all those good intentions and plans.

Dick Bodenhorn

Old 09-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

Not everybody try.
thats why I said for the most part.. Really speaking honestly, how many hunters do you know that put time into scouting( more than a day) talking with land owners practicing with their gun or bow. The majority on this board probably do these things as our passion brings us here. But thousands of Pa hunters buy a license,the day before they should have their doe tags in, or the day before season starts, buy a box of shells(probably not even the same grain bullet they used last year) and pile up a bunch of clothes and a few cases of beer and head to a buddies camp. Or just drive to a spot where the saw a deer cross the road a month before. Theses are the peole I speak of being lazy. These are the ones who spend 2 maybe 3 days a year hunting and EXPECT a deer for their 20.00 license fee.

Yep there sure are alot of hunters like this try.But we have to admit these guys still give to the pitt-rob fund,organizations involved with conservation,and our general economy.Yes they could do more but the money contributions still help out.
Having said that in my neck of the woods these are the hunters that we've lost or will lose in license revenues.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Host of Hosts

Yep there sure are alot of hunters like this try.But we have to admit these guys still give to the pitt-rob fund,organizations involved with conservation,and our general economy.Yes they could do more but the money contributions still help out.
I can't argue with that. Your 100% correct. I wish I had the answers to the problems we face in Penn's Woods, but I don't