Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NE Kingdom VT

Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 AM

Default RE: NE Kingdom VT

Mike: always a pleasure to hear from a mil retiree. Life is good after the military, isn't it? I presently hunt VT/NH, but if the hunting doesn't improve in VT, I may be headed to ME. I have some relatives in the central area, around Madison. What area of ME do you hunt? Jack
Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 AM

Champlain Islander: North Hero...........isn't that an Island? You've got me pulling out my topos to look at the Indian Stream area of NH. Never heard of it, but I'm about to find out. Wow, another retiree! Jack PS: I just found Indian Stream, and it's about as far out as you can get up in that area. I usually go fishing when I go that way, with all that water nearby. I have access to a camp down in town. How's the white tail population up there? I know all about the moose population..............
Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup I live on the Island Of North Hero. Excellent fishing and pretty good deer hunting here but I don't like hunting small woods so I seldom do anything other than turkey hunt here. I like the big woods of Maine and Northern NH and Vt. Indian Stream is great and we usually stay around Pittsburgh or Canan. Lots of room for tracking in the snow so Thanksgiving week there is best.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 AM

Your last name ain't Benoit, is it?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 AM

FWIW, I'd like to post a site that I use to actually view an area before I go there. This has been of some value to me, as I can identify log roads, major game trails, and in some cases softwoods vs hardwoods. It allows me to look down at the area from a satellite view. When you check this site out, pick an area out by locating on the topo view first.......then click to aerial view to change it to a satellite photo. Works in VT/NH anyway. Check it out at: http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com

Old 08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Big Hello from Bennington, VT. You sure are right about the southern deer herd numbers, although I have seen much more sign this year than last. I hope the hunting turns around soon, I don't think it could get much worse.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 PM

MikeVT: you're right....it can't get much worse. I was a VT resident for over 25 years, and remember how it was. Now, I'd rather hunt NH any day than southern VT. NE VT, however, hasn't been effected much so it's business as usual up there.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
jf5

Hey guys. I will be hunting NH deer first time this year. I have been a big fan of the NEK for years and visit there some in the summer, and allot in the Fall for fishing. I am dying to hunt up there, butI udnerstand the deerhunting is very hard. I have seen deer in many NEK towns, especially Bloomfield. But understand that deer denisty is very low, and buck hunting is terrible. Is that the case??Is the huntingin the NEK harderthan Coos County NH??
Old 08-28-2006, 03:41 PM

jf5: I don't think there's any place that's harder to hunt than Coos Cty, NH. You'll find that hunting in NEK happens in pockets, which you'll have to figger out where they are. Food is the biggest draw along with sunny hillsides in the cold weather. I really think you'll find the hunting easier in NEK than what you've been doing. You need to move a bit south in NH to the CT River valley area to find better deer density. I keep going back toNEK 'cause I keep seeing 'em. I think you'd like it better than Coos, with respect to deer sighting. Friends of mine hunt the Dartmouth Grant up in Coos, and they'll go for days when there will only be 1 or 2 sightings for the whole camp of 6-8 hunters.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:22 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: jemerrill

jf5: I don't think there's any place that's harder to hunt than Coos Cty, NH. You'll find that hunting in NEK happens in pockets, which you'll have to figger out where they are. Food is the biggest draw along with sunny hillsides in the cold weather. I really think you'll find the hunting easier in NEK than what you've been doing. You need to move a bit south in NH to the CT River valley area to find better deer density. I keep going back toNEK 'cause I keep seeing 'em. I think you'd like it better than Coos, with respect to deer sighting. Friends of mine hunt the Dartmouth Grant up in Coos, and they'll go for days when there will only be 1 or 2 sightings for the whole camp of 6-8 hunters.
Wow, thanks for the response. Most folks I have talked to say VT deer are downall over, adn the NEK especially after the2002-2003 winters. I've gotta get into the NEK woods this winter to see what is going on!! I am actually hunting southern NH this year. But have been eyeing the north country for a big woods hunt in snow and it was either Coos or NEK. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: NE Kingdom VT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.