Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York stole my pref points!!!!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default New York stole my pref points!!!!

I just found that they use your pref point weather youwant themto or not!!!

I had two they used last year for me on a high dmp area!! NOT COOL!!!

NowI have one from this year.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New York stole my pref points!!!!

The guy was trying to explain preference points to me today, but didn't do a great job. Do preference points help you get a preferred area next year or in coming years? If not, please explain. Just want to have it make sense.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:02 PM

All I know is that I had one and you have to use them. So I applied for my second dmp in an area that said preference points required. I figured if I had to use it, I might as well go for it! Well it did me no good. I got my firt choice but not my second and no preference point for next year!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

This is the way pref. points were explained to me by a DEC official. Pref. points are given only when you do not receive a DMP for your 1st choice.The following year they use these points for your 1st choice again and if you are successful they are applied to this permit, if not you will receive another one for the following year. It was said that pref. points are not applied to 2nd choice areas nor do you receive pref. points if you get a 1st DMP and are turned down for the 2nd DMP. This official could be wrong but when he said it to me last year it did make sense.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say NY stole your pts. I'd say you failed to understand the NY licensing system. I see more guys go to get their licenses, and fail to understand how the system works. Pts work the sameway now as did before the automated system. But now if you have pts they are printed out on a separate tag along with all your other tags bought. You should've seen that on last yrs license, that you had no pts. You've never been able to save pts for future yrs, never. They only accumulate when your denied your 1st choice in consecutive yrs. So I wouldn't blame the system, becasue you failed to understand how it works.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

I was under the belief that preference points are only good for the zone you earned it in. So this year I got one for 3k and it is only good for 3k next year. Am I correct?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

your pref. point that you received when you got turned down for 3K will be used next year for your first choice DMP. If you get turned down again for your first choice then you will earn another point. If you get picked then that point is used up.Your pref. point is "good" for any WMU that has DMP's.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, I was confused on that. Good to know so that next year I will choose a zone for my first choice which is medium or even low.