Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA deer hunting

Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 PM

Default PA deer hunting

is there more deer in the 3b zone than there is in 3c? has there been alot of deer sightings yet in these areas? thinking about getting a tag in 3b, ive heard that there is more deer and bigger bucks in 3b i dont know if there is truth to that or not im from ma. any info would be helpful?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:01 PM

Default RE: PA deer hunting

The public land has been shot out. If you can get access to private land you will find some nice bucks, but access to farms is very difficult. Perhaps "DougF" can assist.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:10 PM

Public land in 4c is looking better than ever. I just spent about 20 hours scouting and have really seen some good sign. Saw a group of nice bucks way back in and seen lots of sign of does and fawns running around. Fairly happy with what has been going on the past couple years. Saw more big bucks then ever before. Before the changes I only saw 1 rack buck in about 8 years hunting on SGL. Everything was a spike. Last year I shot a nice 7 pointer that was only 1 1/2 years old. I think the bucks were in bad shape and couldn't get enough to eat.

Looking forward to this season.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Igrew up in 3B and still hunt there or in 3Cevery year.I can't help youwith public landbecause there wasn't any in the areas where I hunted.I mostly hunt in Wyoming county and some in Susquehanna county.Both counties are still loaded with deer.Access is getting alot tougher in Susquehanna county but permission isa little moreeasily obtained in Wyoming county although it's not easy either.When I was a kid,the majority of the land in that areawas open to hunting.Sadly,that isn't the case anymore.My one buddy own a bunch of land in Susquehanna county.They band together with a bunch of surrounding landowners and severly limit who can hunt and what they can shoot.I generally only make it make there once or twice a year to hunt and it's always only to shoot a doe.Pretty much the only propertiesI hunt are are owned by close friendsor family.Deer numbersseem to be downa bit from what they were in the 80's and 90's but there's still a bunch of deer and some huge bucks.That area used to absolutely polluted with deer and still is in many places.I have a brother that lives near Lake Carey,outside of Tunkhannock.He owns about 50 acres of woods that's connected with several hundred more acres.It gets hunted by about 6 people and they only shoot big bucks.I'd be surprised if they kill 2 or 3 deer a year off that property.In the fall,it's nothing to count 100 deer in the fields in front of his house once they cut the corn.

If you knock on some doors,you may get lucky and find a decent place to hunt.I haven't stopped and asked a complete stranger for permision to hunt in a long time but it used to be no big deal.Most of the farmers used to be pretty easy to deal with.Recently,alot of the farms have been sold offand guys seem to be planting a few food plots and doing nothing with the rest of the land.Access to these places would probably be pretty tough.

For once I caree with Crazy Horse.The private land is loaded with deer but you'll most likely struggle to get permission.