Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Looking For Butcher

Old 07-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking For Butcher

I hunt in Garret couny, md. Only problem is I don't know of any repitable butchers in the area. Can anybody help on this subject?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking For Butcher

I had the same problem a couple years ago when I started hunting. I first found some butchers that worked with hunters for the hungry (listed in MD hunting guide and on website). I then went to the local bow shop and got some recommendations from them. Then I called a few butchers in the phone book, a couple of them also butchered deer.

I have only bagged one deer, I plan to try a couple of butchers this season depending on my luck

Hope this helps.

-Rick C.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Why Not do it yourself?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

I will call my wifes uncle who lives on backbone mountain to see who they go too. I think its that sports shop on Route near the WV line.

I have been butching deer for years and years now, and it has became a dreaded thing these days. Takes me 4-5 hours to cut/wrap, and grind, and dispose of the rest. But I have yet to find a butcher that does it the way I like.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Medic

Why Not do it yourself?
THERE YOU GO, DEER ISNT TO HARD TO BUTCHER THEY HAVE PLENTY OF HOW TO BOOKS VIDEOS THE GOOD THING ABOUT DOING IT YOURSELF IS YOUR SAVING MONEY AND YOU CAN GET A LITTLE MORE EXTRA MEAT THAT YOU USE FOR HAMBURG,FOR INSTANCE FRONT LEGS I CUBE UP FOR STEW BEEF NECK TO,BACK LEGS STEAKS, RIBS HAMBURG AND ALL LEFT OVER SCRAPS HAMBURG BACKSTRAPS BUTTERFLY STEAKS ALL DONECARCASS YOTE BAIT
Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

thanks bigcountry, My Mom lives in Mountain Lake Park. She knows some people on backbone mountain. If you don't mind me asking, What is your wifes uncle name? I think I might get some books on butchering. Might just give it a try. PM me with the name if you want. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 PM

Don't know how far west in Garrett you hunt, but I use a guy 20 mins over the border off the Cooper's Rock exit of I79 in WV. I know it's a little ways, but throwin' it out there.