Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

More Mountain Lions In PA Discussion

Old 07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: More Mountain Lions In PA Discussion

Here's what probably happened in the above-mentioned case, Dick:

You retrieved thatroadkill after dark with the aid of your truck headlights and all them glow eyes blinded you to the point that you justthought it was a yearlin' deer.

Far too many of yinz ol' goats are trying to get by now on experience, instinct and a sense of feel. Better think twice about goin' out after dark.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now I guess the cat's got everyone's tongue?

Thanks for the input Dick.
Have you heard anything regarding the one that is allegedly attcking horses and dogs in the Williamsport area?
I would assume that this news would spread like wildfire through the PGC if true.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:27 AM

Cats got thier tongue, that was a good one Matt....

He should be aware of the two officers that did respond to a horse attack in Lycoming Co.
and the dog warden
and the vet
and the Dept. Of Ag.
and..........

Cougardaville
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've heard of a few that were shot.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have not heard anything about any suspected mountain lion attacks in the Williamsport area even though I am in the same region and have a good bit of contact with the Officers in that area.

As WCOs we get a lot of reports from people about all kinds of things that we very quickly prove didn’t happen as reported. I have had a pretty large number of reports over the years of both mountain lions and bears attacking houses. We have never found any evidence of a mountain lion attack and rarely any indication of a bear attack. Most often we find the horse got spooked by who knows what and then got into a barbed wire fence. I had one a few years ago that was reported as a bear kill and I quickly proved the horse had tried to jump the fence and disemboweled itself on a metal fence post. The next day I got a report that the bear had tore up the second horse. We proved that horse had actually been gored by the bull they kept in the same pasture. The bull was probably the reason the first horse was trying to jump the fence the night before too.

From what Cougardaville just post I would rather suspect a member of the dog family in this horse attack investigation if the Dog Warden and Department of Agriculture are involved since they handle the dog or coyote attacks.

Dick Bodenhorn
WCO, Elk County
Old 07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most often we find the horse got spooked by who knows what and then got into a barbed wire fence.

Dick,
If you read my earlier post on this thread you'll see I had that exact experience when I was living for a short time in Montana.........even the local vet thought the wounds were made by a Mt. Lion.
A barbed wire fence sure can put a hurtin' on a horse that's for sure. Saw it first hand.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for taking the time to post Dick. Your input is appreciated. As is your work.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Well I am nt going to say yes or no on the subject. I will give you this little bit of information.Two years ago, my father-in-law was sitting on his front porch toward the evening waiting to watch the deer that hit the feeder every night. Well instead of deer comming out of the woods, there was a large cat-like animal, that he swore was a mountain lion. He heard that two neighbors had lost a cat and a dog. He said that he also heard comming from out of the woods at night one time only, a loud blood curddling scream. That was the last that time he seen it or heard anything.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM

I'm heading for my camp in Bradford County tomorrow morning. Should I encounter a Mountain Lion I will dispatch it and then take it to the local newspaper for photos. After that I will deliver it (with witnesses) to the PGC headquarters in Dallas PA.

Since according to the PGC there are no wild Mountain Lions in PA there can only be escaped (hungry) Mountain Lion pets. That being the admitted case (by the PGC) there will be no fine.

After leaving the PGC headquarters with the carcass I will go directly to a taxidermist to have the big cat mounted so that when I sell my story to just about every sportsmen's publication in the state (Jeff M. [PON], you'll get firstshot)I will have great photos of my trophy for publication.

I'd rather take a picture if I could, but no one would believe a photo, and a bullet is so very defining. Wouldn't you agree Dick Bodenhorn?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haveyou been complaining about no deer in Bradford county all this time?

Quick Reply: More Mountain Lions In PA Discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.