Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anyone seeing any bucks in NY???

Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone seeing any bucks in NY???

I've been seeing alot of"scrubs" and decent bucksalong with somepretty nices oneshere in NE Steuben County...with the biggest so far being a couple of 18" or so 8-pts. Several of the nicer ones that I was watching a couple of weeks ago seemed to have disappeared lately. I'vebeen drivingaround before dark with my video camera trying to capture footage. I guess if I wanna see the big boys I'll have to break out the spotlight. They stillhave alot of tine and beam length to put on yet over the next month. I'm sure pumped up for Oct. 14 already! So who's been seeing the bucks?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Anyone seeing any bucks in NY???

I'm with ya! I've seensome does and scrubs but thats it! I think the biggest I saw was a 4 point. They can hide now, but come Oct 14th I'm hoping to find them!!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had my game cam up since may and have over 200 pics of deer (usually 3 at a whack). Getting ~50 pics every 4-7 days. At leat 3 (probably 4-5) different bucks. 2 nice bucks (outside ears already) running together. couple more smaller bucks and several doe. it's real neat to get so many pics and be able to follow how the bucks are growing.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

One nice sized 4 point and a crap load of does.[&o]
Old 07-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm seeing lots of yearlings...Several of my buddies have seen a couple of good ones...

One interesting note..I saw a doe with triplets yesterday...There should be quite few triplets out there this year due to last fall's massive mast crop, the mild winter and the relatively low level of the population..
Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Saw a six point and a spike. Nothing huge. Maybe one of you guys can helpme though. When is the bucks antlers set for the year?Those two bucks I saw, is it correct that they aredone growing for the yearand now the velvet is just building up the mass /bone density? OR can that six point still grow a few more points while he is in velvet? ABout what time of year is the size and shape of the antlers alreadydetermined?I am insouthern catskills near kerhonkson. Thanks for any help.just wondering when is the critical time for antler growth.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Contrary to popular belief, a buck's antlers stop growing by the end of July through the beginning of August. Right now a buck will have all of his visible mainframe tines showing but alot of them will still gain some tine and beamlength over the nextcouple ofweeks. A majority of the month of August is reserved for the mineralizing or "hardening" process...then come velvet shedding.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

I saw a nice 8 two evenings ago in a field, but that is it so far. I've seen does and fawns like never before though. That's a good sign for the short future.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

just got back from the Adirondacks. Had my Cuddeback up since late May. Had 174 pcs (all but 3 had game). Several bucks (3-5+). Got a pic of a big bear also (he messed with the cam, glad he didn't eat it!). waiting for a moose! Also still getting 3-5 bucks up behind my house.

ps - still having poor quality with the Cuddeback pics. gonna contact them again (they said it was a bad formatted card??)

Quick Reply: Anyone seeing any bucks in NY???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.