Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Closing Medix Grade Road?

Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Closing Medix Grade Road?

Doug.. Medix Grade Rd. is on the other side of "Taterville", the camptown, from Knobs Rd. It's only a short distance from where Wallace Mines Rd. comes up on Caledonia Pike at the Mule Barn camp.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotcha.I know where wallace mines road hits Caledonia.Is there a big beech flat off of Medix grade rd?If that's where I'm thinking,that's a hotspot for bear when there's a good mast crop.A few years ago,the local news interviewed a WCO right before bear season and he mentioned all the bears around Shaggers inn because of the big beech crop.That area was loaded with hunters on the first day.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, there are several nice stands of beech in that area. One is near the Orchard Camp, close to the gate area under discussion, and one other I am familiar with is on top of the ridge between Little Medix Rd. and Medix Grade Rd. (Little Medix Run and Medix Run), adjoining the old tornado area. It's been a hotspot for bear for some time, particularly when the mast is good, and the berries are plentiful. Food and cover. Not REAL easy to access,but not too bad. Bear are taken there nearly every year. Last year was a bit of a downer,but that happens. The easiest point of access is at the pipe gate on Shaggers Inn Rd, on the left about a 1/4 mi. before you start to drop down off the ridge. A good 3/4 mi. walk back to the area, but on a wide trail. Yep, a fair amount of hunters in there in bear season, but that keeps them moving. I can show you a nice big old beech with claw marks from being climbed more than once. Counted nearly fourty vehicles parked at the gate on opening day several years ago, so this place is far from a secret. Just a good spot to tip the odds in your favor a little more..........
Old 07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting off of Knobs road that year and took a ride on Shaggers on my way home.Vehicles were parked everywhere.I scouted around the tornado area on Shaggers road quite a bit that year and found bear sign all over the place but the guys I hunted with wanted to hit knob's road.I did hit a big bear about 6 years ago right in the middle of the blowdowns off of Tyler road.I still lose sleep over that.There's not a day that goes by thatI don't think about it.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:20 PM

You all read my signature!!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well that sucks that it's being developed.I was just on that road a few months back.
The PA wilds program is a typical idea coming from Rendell,debernliberal,and the rest of the Philly knuckleheads.Turn portions of the state into the Poconos and claim other places as wild areas where it'off limits to the public.These people get my goat and make no sense at all.They're a bunch of Philly lame brain liberals that think they know how to run the boondocks.
There I got that off my chest.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone know for sure who bought the property at the gated area we've been talking about? Would be interesting to find out who and what the intent actually may be. The more I mull this around, the more suspicious I get. I guess time will tell. Are real estate transfers published in the Clearfield paper? Maybe it's already been published and wasn't noticed.
I also made a mis-statement earlier when I said the bridge on Little Medix Run was still out. It has been re-opened recently. I didn't find this out until I was discussing this issue with another of our camp owners tonight, and he informed me he had been over it two wekends ago
I know the area around Tyler Rd. you talk about, Doug. Not far from our place. Used to be thicker than hound's hair, but is getting into the pole stage now, as is most of the tornado area. Still rough going in there, though. Tough enough to lose a deer in those places, let alone a nice bear. That's rough. Don't blame you for the "flashbacks".
There are still deer left in the area. Saw a herd of eight as they walked past me the first day of Spring Gobbler down on Alex Branch, and my wife and I saw three from the porch at camp last Sat. afternoon.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:25 AM

Never forget. Never forgive.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about the land purchase but I'll find out what I can.At this point,it doesn't appear to have anything to do with Pa wilds or biodiversity.I can't say for sure though.Whatever it is,DCNR doesn't seem to be behind it.

I haven't been up there since last archery season.I spent one day on the edge of the tornado of Tyler rd(unit 312)area scouting last september and saw several deer and a bunch of sign.I went in there the first morning of archery season and killed a doe.I had six doe and fawns walk under me in the morning.I let them go becauseI wanted to see if a buck came in.Around 8:00am 4 more came in and I killed the biggest doe.They may have been the same deer that came by me at first light though.i started hunting that area for bear in the mid 90's and never really saw alot of deer in there.There's no doubt they were there but seeing them is another story.I'd say i'm really not seeing that many less deer in there now thanI did 10 years ago.I'm sure there's less but there's still more than enough to make a hunt interesting.I hunt the left side of tyler road quite a bit as you head toward 4 mile rd.I also hunt Abbot hollow behind Lady Jane mine quite a bit.I don't see dozens of deer a day in that area but it's a rare day thatI don't get an opportuntity of some sort.You can't ask for much more than that in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted the Tyler Rd. area you talk about some, mainly past where the gas and power lines cross, away from Parker Dam. I haven't killed a deer inthere YET, but it's a decent area to hunt. A fair amount of sign.
Another area I've hunted some is on Blackwell Rd., up the hill on the left, before you hit the "Posted" ground. I counted seven scrapes along an old woods/field line several years ago in there, and lots of rubs. I agree, there aren't as many deer around as there used to be, but if you do a little searching and have any knowledge at all of what deer need, you should be able to do O.K.

Quick Reply: Closing Medix Grade Road?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.