Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Used guns kittery/ freeport maine

Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Used guns kittery/ freeport maine

I'll be heading to Maine for the weekend next week and wanted to check out some gun stores. We will be staying in Kittery. I've seen Kittery Trading Posts used gun listings on the internet and am interested in a few. Is it worth the drive to hit the LL Bean hunting store in Freeport? Are there any other gun stores in this relative area that I should know about?Which place do you prefer?

Thanks

KEJ
Old 06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Used guns kittery/ freeport maine

The trading post is a good selection, but I thought was over priced. Nice place to visit though. Kinda like BPS.
Sounds like you've not been there before but ll bean has a store right there also, but they don't sell guns. There's a whole factory outlet at Kittery
Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 PM

Capt Brad has got it right. The Trading Post is a great place, but there are no deals there. Well worth the visit though and lots of guns to look at.

I have not checked it out, but I hear that LL Bean is trying to get away from hunting. Going as far as supporting anti-hunting organizations.Does anyone know if this is true? It's mostly yuppie fasions now so I don't shop there any way so I don't know.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM

I was in Kittery today to pick up some powder and primers. That store ROCKS! LL Bean is NOT worth the trip up the pike. They really on have 5-10% of the guns that KTP carries and Beans has almost NO used stuff! The only reason they even moved into the "hunting store" is because all the tree huggers that come uphere where complaining about the guns and stuffed animals in the main store.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

A fast trip into the Trading post will last you many hours. The store is great and I know some have talked about the prices - but on used stuff you need to talk to them and see if they can come down. Great bunch of guys work there and they are always looking to deal. They also have hunting, fishing,camping, etc.

Beans is getting away from it roots in hunting and I think that Freeport store is over rated. Used to be good many years ago but not anymore.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 PM

You can browse Kittery's inventory online at www.ktpguns.com.

You should absolutely NOT bother looking for guns at LL Bean unless you're going to be in Freeport anyway.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:07 PM

All,

Thanks foryour replies. That's what is so great about these forums. This will save me 2 hours of driving on my brief vacation to Maine. I'm mostly looking for used Ithaca shotguns, and perhaps an 1100 or 1187 if I find a reasonable deal. I saw the Kittery website, but question howreliable their % grade ison firearmsthey list. Of course, I'll find out when I get there.
Thanks again

KEJ
Old 06-13-2006, 06:51 AM

They are actually pretty good at grading, and I have found that sometimes they'll have guns there that didn't make the web for a few weeks. With so many guns, they'll occasionaly mis-mark a price and I've known a few guys who have scored great deals. You'll have a real good shot at a Remington 1100 or 1187, the Ithaca will be a little tougher. One thing to be sure and do is talk to the "shotgun" guys, as sometimes the best guns don't get on the floor right away (if you know what I mean)but they'll pull them out for you to look over.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are interested in Muzzle loaders you can visit Fox Ridge outfitters its about 1/2 hour away from kittery going back over the bridge that seperates NH and Maine to RT 16 and exit 14 to Rocchester at the light take a left and a couple hundred yards they will be on the left. Great store and great people. Tele 1800 243 4570 400 No. Main St Rochester N.H.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I was up to Freeport last year. LL Bean opened a new hunting/fishing store 2 years ago across the street from its flagship store. Not a huge selection of guns, they have more archery supplies than anything. Can sometimes get great deals on hunting clothes also.