Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Jersey, 11 year old girl spots cougar in tree

Old 06-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Jersey, 11 year old girl spots cougar in tree

Actually the most recent updates to this story in theh Courier Post are that the police and DNR have not seen anything indicating it was a cougar, that includes baits put out and not hit, trail cams put out and not tripped, and dogs who found no scent. turns out it prolly wasn't a cougar after all, which makes senseto those of us that know the area.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bionic, it is funny that the cop on the video is saying that he saw a cougar, long tail and all. Now new reports say that he didn't see. I wonder if he got a visit from the men in black and had to look in to the flashy thing????? ;0)
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 AM

come on guys there are plenty of woods over that way for a cougar to live... i have a shore house and drive up and down the highways where there is plenty of woods...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greek, I am not saying that it was or wasn't a cougar, I am just poking fun at the conflicting stories. I have no idea what the woods are like there where this took place. I do however know very well the actions of cougars and how elusive they can be. Sure the girl could have very well seen the cat. I am not doubting that either. I find it weird that the cat stayed around long enough for a phone call to be placed, the cops to respond and then walk into the woods to still spot the cat. I wish they would stick around that long here, I would get a chance to shoot another one.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Loose from the Red Bank Nation Park! THis area does not seem like the habitat for mountain lion. Althougn a Moose was seen this weekend in the Downtown Manchester, NH in the parking garge of a downtown hotel - and how he made it there is beyond me - totally urban for miles around.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

wasnt camden voted the number 1 worst city in the US? I've been there

Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 PM

What happened to them casts they made on the deer trail of the cat???That isn't evidence or did it turn out to be a deer with deformed deer hoofs that looked like cat tracks????
Old 06-25-2006, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

Actually the most recent updates to this story in theh Courier Post are that the police and DNR have not seen anything indicating it was a cougar, that includes baits put out and not hit, trail cams put out and not tripped, and dogs who found no scent. turns out it prolly wasn't a cougar after all, which makes senseto those of us that know the area.
First, dont believe the press! They screw up obituaries! I live where this cat is reported to be ( I havent seen it). I know all the people personally who have seen this cat. Yes it has been seen and the police officer did not retract his statement, he saw it CLOSE. The trail cams put out intially were mine. The problem was, where the bait was put the area had been saturated with people, not a good idea.The cat has plenty of room there to roam as the properties are private belonging to DuPont &Valero. It is loaded with deer which is their food of choice and plenty of cover, some thick swamps as well. Prints were cast and verified to be a cat in the 75 - 100# range.
The state got involved and well......I'll leave it at that. I pulled my cams out. IMO I beleive it was a pet and let loose.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jerry, of cours I don't believe everything the press reports. I also know enough to know there are no wild cougars in NJ. I wouldn't be suprised it was a released / escaped pet, but you got guys from PA using this case as an example that there are so many in PA now they are spilling over to NJ!