-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Expanded Pa. elk range includes Potter, Tioga By GEORGE OSGOOD Star-Gazette May 2, 2006 HARRISBURG — A 450-percent expansion of..." />

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Expanded Elk Range

Old 05-13-2006, 02:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Expanded Elk Range

This is the same place that has no habitat for deer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expanded Pa. elk range includes Potter, Tioga
By GEORGE OSGOOD
Star-Gazette
May 2, 2006

HARRISBURG — A 450-percent expansion of Pennsylvania's elk range approved by the Pennsylvania Game Commission on Monday includes much of Potter County and parts of Tioga.

Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe announced on Monday that the agency had updated and finalized its elk management plan.

The plan's goals and objectives, which replace those adopted in 1996, will drive the agency's elk program for the next 10 years.

The previous “elk management area” covered 835 square miles and included portions of Elk, Clearfield, Cameron, Potter, Clinton and Centre counties.

The elk management area announced on Monday covers 3,750 square miles.

New boundaries are Route 6 to the north, Route 287 to the east, Route 219 to the west and routes 80 and 220 to the south.

That means it covers most of Potter County and the southwestern quadrant of Tioga County, including the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon region and part of Wellsboro.

“This expansion encompasses additional public property allowing for increased habitat improvement and the potential for a population increase and broader distribution of the elk herd,” Roe said. “In addition, the expansion should help alleviate the pressures from elk on private properties.”

If the state's elk herd expands into Tioga County, tourism could increase significantly, said Sandi Spencer, executive director of the Tioga County Visitors Bureau.

“As far as tourism goes, this is another attraction for our area,” she said. “Ever since Governor Rendell made that Route 6 commercial, Tioga County in particular has experienced a large influx of visitors. This would add to those numbers.

“We just have to be careful that we don't get overwhelmed like Benezette (a township in the heart of elk country in Elk County) did. It has to be controlled.”

Other state updates include renaming “elk management units” as “elk hunt zones.” The boundaries of those zones are specifically designed to meet established elk-harvest goals and may change yearly.

Hunting opportunities will continue to provide quality hunting, address conflict areas and help manage the populations.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:51 AM

Default RE: Expanded Elk Range

I guess as long as it benefits tourism and not us cry baby pain in the ars hunters that ruin a New Yorker's day of viewing invisible organisms!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I sure pitty those few remaining deer in 2G the elk will eat what little food they have left.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerfly

If you really want to get your BP up , read the Elk Management Plan on the PGC website. You will see no mention of overbrowsing or poor habitat You will also find the following quote regarding the habitat the elk use.

The premise that elk are primarily grazers is the most important habitat
management factor to consider when enhancing habitat for elk. In Pennsylvania,
grasses and legumes are an important component of the elk's diet (Witmer and
Cogan 1989) in late spring and mid fall (Devlin and Tzilkowski 1986). In
Pennsylvania, elk eat grasses and legumes from agricultural lands, clearcuts,
reclaimed surface mines, utility right-of-ways, riparian habitats, natural meadows,
and wildlife openings. Clearcuts are heavily used by elk during winter with only
limited use occurring during summer and fall (Drake 1985).

Through observation, preferred winter food species in Pennsylvania
include red maple (Acer rubrum), quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides), striped
maple (Acer pennsylvanicum), witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana), ironwood
(Carpinus caroliniana), Hercules’ club (Aralia spinosa) and Juneberry
(Amelanchier spp.). The best spring food consists of young growth grasses,
legumes, and forbs.
Note how closely the winter diet of elk matches the winter diet of deer. So while the PGC is telling us we can't have more deer in 2 G ,they are also telling us that we can have more elk that weigh 4 or 5 times more than the average deer.
Is this the link? http://www.pennsylvaniaelkherd.com/elk00029.htm#hf2
Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda makes you wonder just how important the habitat is to them.Or are they just pulling the wool over the hunter's eyes showing that it all comes down to money.Evidently there's alot more money generated from tourism in the NC then there is by hunting.But don't insult us by massive herd rductions in the name of habitat and replace the deer with massive elk.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:48 AM

Thats the link I was trying to post in another thread, plain as day what they eat in the winter time!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 06:51 AM

The DCNR defenders are scrambling to find links to prove elk don't hurt habitat!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

nope,I think it's a bunch of crap.I live on the edge of the elk range and hunt right in the middle of it.Elk are extremely destructive.I've seen them completely strip the bark off of red maple and aspens.That goes above and beyond overbrowsing.They have no business expanding elk into an already overbrowsed habitat.These are one of those times I just have to shake my head.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 PM

Seen it too out by Benzette (spelling). I won't even try to understand!!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate conspiracy theories so I shouldn't even say anything.However,this is probably trickleing down from Rendell's plans on Pa wilds.I actually have a PGCelk biologist that livesdown the road from me.I really don't know him but I may stop and see him some time to get his take on this.It certainly appears stupid from this angle.

Quick Reply: Expanded Elk Range

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.