Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Delaware Landowners going too far!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:42 AM

Default RE: Delaware Landowners going too far!

I was wondering when the hate mail would start! I'll respond to all the capitalism purest tonight.

How about this, eminant domain to SAVE land from development, not take it away too develop it. Now thats something for the good of all society!

Go ahead boys, let her rip!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM

How about no eminent domain!!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
jf5

I agree that its her land and she should be able to do whats she sees fit. In this case, I do think she is selfish to not think of the envoronment, but it is her land.

However, On the flip side. Compete "hands off" attitude dosn'talways work when the general welfare of the environment and public are at stake. If I own300 acres of land, and decide to lease it to a chemical company to dump toxins. Is that OK?? After all, it is my land right?? Off course not. Landowners still should be held accountable when their actions effect others.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:58 PM

I agree about the Chemicals, pollution ect., I just didn't feel like listing it but your right!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jf5

I agree that its her land and she should be able to do whats she sees fit. In this case, I do think she is selfish to not think of the envoronment, but it is her land.

However, On the flip side. Compete "hands off" attitude dosn'talways work when the general welfare of the environment and public are at stake. If I own300 acres of land, and decide to lease it to a chemical company to dump toxins. Is that OK?? After all, it is my land right?? Off course not. Landowners still should be held accountable when their actions effect others.
Dumping chemicals is already illegal.And has nothing to do with this thread.Where does the paper we use every day come from,what about the wood to build homes.If she owns the land and pays the taxes on it then they are her trees to do with what she wants.All land is regulated to a point but taking basic rights away from land owners with out fullcompensation is wrong.Its like telling a farmer not to pick his corn because you want to hunt the deer it feeds.

Maybe she just doesn't like trees!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Let me first addressbawanajim and Sylvan. I love listening to everyone's opinions, pro and con. But since you all decided to go with the smart ass approach, allow me to retort. Let's see genius, I have Bachelors Degree in Business, within a month I'm hoping I'll be a CPA and have worked 13 years in the Financial Services industry. I think i have a little bit of knowledge about Capitalism, Free Markets, Property Rights and so on. And as to your Rights comment, if your talking about this part of the 5th Amendment "nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation" , I don't believe Isaid they should take her property. I did a second post that mentioned Eminent Domain for land conservation. I did this just to get everyone all fired up. I don't believe in it. Never have. Just wanted to throw it out there and see what others thought. So, I suggest you do a little more thinking before you attack someone on a subject. There are plenty of people here who disagree with the original post and didn't approach it with "when you graduate high school, you'll understand things". So to you two I say, start threads on business concepts, the Bill of Rights etc., in another forum and I'll debate with you until your fingers fall off. Until then, bite me.

As for Pro-Line and your comment:

Me thinksYOU will be voting Clinton 2008....
No, I wont be voting for Hillary in the 08 election, but roll out any other
democrat and they will get my vote. I've always voted Republican, but not this time. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, 'I was a Republican, I didn't
abandon the Republican Party, the Republican Party abandoned me' But
again, if you would like to discuss the 2008 election, please start a
thread and we can debate it there. I can go on and on and on,,,,,

Now, back to the real topic at hand, destroying the environment on your
land, like woman in the article, just because its been designated for
possible preservation. In a previous article, the DNREC spokesman made it clear that just because its green on the map, doesnt mean it cant be developed. These were just lands that were considered enviornmentally important and it should be taken into consideration before development rights are granted. Hell they already trimmed the areas they want to designate by 200K acres! The arguement that just designating land for possible preservation wipes out the property value is just wrong and I dont buy the womans statement that she didnt do it for spite. She did it for spite and also to manipulate the land designation for her own selfish wishes. To hell with the trees, wildlife, etc, as long as I can get my millions on demand with no hassles. Its greedy, its wrong, plain and simple!

Now I agree that its NOT right for the state to simply take a persons property or even prevent them from selling it if they desire. But I dont think its unreasonable to make landownerstake a few extra steps in the process or even make them listen to alternative selling options if they own enviornmentally important properties. In the end, if the state cant either a) come up with enough fair compensation for the property, or b) cant convince they landowner to take a little less than a developer is offering for the sake of the enviornment then you have to let them do what they want to do.

The point im trying to make is, the state needs to come up with a plan to persuade landowners to preserve land and slow down sprawl until such plan can be developed. Landowners need to look inside themselves a little deeper before they just sell to the highest bidder. And people like the woman in the article, well, I think I made myself clear about what I think about people like that and what should be done to them. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I most of missed the part of the article that was so bad. The Logging? What's wrong with that, it's probably the best thing that can happen for most land if it's done right and they didn't say it wasn't.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Duck the property you had me check on at Rt 6 & 9 , Someone just bought 25 acres for 250 g's and kept 2 acres for a homesite and sold the develpoment rights to the state on the rest of it for
$9,000 per acre. So he will end up with about 70 G in it . The corner has not been sold, the part was sold is from the farmhouse West 25 acres.. You need to get on this it is across the street from your lease.l...
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you just thru this out there to see what ya got back at yadoes it suprise u that when you rite like a child u get responded too like a child.
For some one that says that they ben to schole your cents of rite an wronge don't fill your smart shoes.
Save a tree eat a beaver!!!!!!!
And get a real job!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 PM

So you just thru this out there to see what ya got back at yadoes it suprise u that when you rite like a child u get responded too like a child.
For some one that says that they ben to schole your cents of rite an wronge don't fill your smart shoes.
Save a tree eat a beaver!!!!!!!
And get a real job!
Now Im real impressed. I retract everything I've said. I can't debate such a talented response.Let's all agree with bawanajim, someone with insight like this cant be wrong! [8D]

Quick Reply: Delaware Landowners going too far!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.