Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

darn cougars

Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default darn cougars

just can't escape it......

someoneat work today says there were pictures of cougars (more than one) in a cemetary in Delaware county. and the kicker is that they had radio collars. didn't by it, so I asked if she can get the photos. she said she "thought" they might still have the paper. we will see.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: darn cougars

The "radio collars" were actually tracking collars the insurance agency put on them. After they thin the deer out in that area the Insurance companies will gather them up and move them to another area
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ummmmmmmm........ok

Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find the cougar phenomenon very interesting. It seems that many otherwise rationalpeople will latch on to anything they can if it supports what they want to believe. It just doesn't matter how credible the information is. Almost inevitably, if the source supports the belief then the story is embraced, ifdoesn't then it is discredited. Oh well, so much for the rational man.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 AM

I usually here alot of people talking about mt lions in my area and I haven't heard much lately. I am one of those people that does believe there are a couple of big cats running around. I don't believe all the conspiracy theory stuff though. I only started believing in mt lions being in the area after my brother saw one in Delevan NY while fly fishing Elton Creek. What is funny about the whole mt lion topic at least in NY is that we called and reported the sighting to the DEC and they would not even consider it. They told my brother that there are no Mt lions in NY and told him it was probably a bobcat. Well last i knew bobcats weren't 6 ft long. But a couple of days later there were a bunch of DEC officers out near the creek walking all over. We almost wanted to go down ask them what they were looking for but figured we wouldn't get them agravated.

Another thing i found funny was a the hambug sportsmans show there was an exhibit setup by the DEC and it was a NY Wildlife exhibit. there were different species of hawks, rabbits, coyotes, and a mt lion. What doesn't fit here. Its like one of those tests you took in elementary school - What item does not belong?

There was also a big conference a Fingerlakes community college specifically on Mt lions in NY that was an invite only event. My brother goes to school there and his one professor went to the conference. he told my brother that it had to deal with what procedures were to be followed when a sighting was reported and how to collect and document evidence related to the sighting. They also talked about habitat and densities, along with procedure to prevent hunman/mt lion encounters.

This all seems like alot of trouble for an animal that is not in NY State but I guess the government needs to spend money on something. Like i said i do believe there are Mt Lions in NY, I don't believe there are that many of them and i have no clue how they got here but I am not buying the Insurance Company angle -
Old 05-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen them 2 times in 15 years hunting in NH. If they are in NH they are certainly in NY.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hate to go into this picture thing but a picture is out of cougar in wellsboro,pa. i saw picture at crossforks,pa. it was on the wall at the diner. that cat is a lot bigger than picture i submitted before on cat in pottersdale, pa.this certainly is cougar. tail and all.cougars are here in pa. the one i saw was young cougar.most that see them see a adult.cougar expert said they are moving into pa. and some arethat have been released.he said there are reasons for someone releasing them.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Spike

Well if there has been a sighting in Wellsboro, Pa us local residents are not aware of it and we are a small town.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:54 AM

There is a picture in the paper in Tioga county but they are asking for an ID. http://www.wnbt.net/
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Spike

The local radio station web site is not exactly in our local newspaper.

Quick Reply: darn cougars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.