Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Awful quiet in the WV turkey woods

Old 05-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Awful quiet in the WV turkey woods

I was hunting in Wardensville on Sat. and the birds certainly were not quiet there. At least threeor four different ones we heard and they were all playing ball early in the morning. There were a few too many hunters and some were very (too) aggressive in their tactics, imo,that may have caused the birds to be a little hesitant to commit to LOVE, but we're going back and try in the middle of the week. We did have a fewunsuccessful opportunities (no one pulled the trigger but 3 of us saw gobblers as well). Some were dead quiet and came in on the sly. That's hunting. Some of those birds were absolutely going crazy early in the morning.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jim Bell

Hillbillyhunter,
I'd sure like to know where you guys are hunting. My brother and I hunted up there last week out behind the shale pit near Perry and on Waites Run near Evergreen Farms and back up Lead Mine Rd. I heard only 1 bird in 3 days of hunting and the same for my brother. I'll be moving to Wardensville in about a month so I hope that next year I will know some of the hotspots that you guys know about.

Jim
wow..hunted there 20 years ago!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jim Bell

Rem1100,
Is that your way of saying that that spot has dried up? We used to hunt there a lot in the fall until Mr. Music bought the corner off Harper Heishman and he stopped us from going in that way. I've not had the time to try many places around town. I'll be moving there in June and hope to get to know more of the area by next spring.

Jim
Jim, not at all, however with Corridor H, lots of the surronding grounds' ripe for the picking. use to see 4x4s on Trout Pond Rd...now it's Lexus/Mercedes & Beemers. The competion for ground is fierce, and getting worse yearly. more folks forced to the NF... not good. makes for over-crowded areas...
I saw my 1st balck bear in the wild near the old Iron Furnace, you familiar with that area? Perry has/had(been awhile) that zoo thing going..do they still? The kids enjoyed that.....
..our ground is near Baker, and you wouldn't believe what lands' bringing up there in the mountains.... man-o-man... can't compete with the city slickers' $$$$... they have the advantage.
Turkey huntin' was excellent @ Perry.... I remember bow hunting one fall w/ my mentor, when a gobbler broke loose & gobbled 21 times...I remember counting them!!! always been turkeys uptop!!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I never did get to go back after them Wardensville birds (or any others) as I had some work and fishingobligations. And believe me, the fishing where I just went seemed like work. Season is now over here so I'll have to kill one this fall like last year.

Anyway, I was wondering how other WV turkey hunters faired???????
Old 05-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed a tract of land at Ashton Woods off Corridor H near Moorefield asking over $5 k per acre!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

I noticed a tract of land at Ashton Woods off Corridor H near Moorefield asking over $5 k per acre!
buy it... there's 9 ac right up the road going for 199K....NINE ACRES... buy,buy,buy....
Old 05-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug...I live in rural Ohio. Bought my land for $2500/acre 2 years ago. (just 6 acres). My sis bought a lot 6.5acres about 5 miles from me. She paid over $60K for it.

It's getting out of hand to buy. Not if you're selling, though...LOL

Quick Reply: Awful quiet in the WV turkey woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.