Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Trout opener..

Old 04-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA Trout opener..

I just bucked up $31 for a fishing license. I'll be totally thrilled on Saturday morning when I'm at Laurel Hill, elbow-to-butthole with no less than 7 zillion other guys, fighting over a 2-foot-deep hole full of 7" trout that I just throw back anyway. If I'm lucky, I'll get snagged or birds-nested on the first cast.
That is flippin' hysterical because it is so true and so common for most folks.

I will be at my usual spot with the wife's extended family up in Promised Land State Park, Pike County. We rent a few of the state cabins for the weekend and spend opening day fishing the little creek that connects the upper and lower lakes. My son is about toturn four and he is just starting to get really enthusiastic about catching his own fish. The afternoon is usually spent either fishing the lower lake, looking at the bald eagles or hiking it back to this little, and I do mean little, creek that runs into the back of the lower lake. Plenty of beautiful little trout that come screaming out from underneath the bank edges when you flit a little fathead past their lair. The best part? Nobody else is around.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

pfc is a bigger joke then pgc they up the price to put bigger fish in.our stream gets less and litter fish every year.my redfins are bigger then some of the trout they put in
Old 04-12-2006, 04:02 PM

No trout stamped for me, not for a bucket of contaminated 7" trout!!!

Besides, I here the crappies are starting to hit, Think thats what I'll do after a good morning of turkey hunting!!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be hitting up a small stream behind my house with my buddy saturday morning. I'm just hoping no1 beats me to my spot . I dont really have any goals for fishing this year. I caught my 1st trophy trout last yr a 21 inch rainbow which is at the taxidermist so unless it's bigger than that it's going in the frying pan. I would like to catch a palamino though. It's the only thing ive never caught. Good luck to everyone.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Today is THE DAY. That's obvious because I was driving to work today in Franklin Co. and I thought there must be an auction or something because of all the cars parked along the road. Then I saw it. Hoardes of "fisherman" with 5-gallon buckets all over this little creek right in front of somebody's house. BWahahahahaha Unbelievable. Doesn't look like any fun to me, but if it is then fine. I'm goin tomorrow to a catch and realease river in Western MD and do some real fishin for wild trout and throwin every one of them back. Stay safe out there
Old 04-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

What the hell goes on in PA? If it is really as bad as you guys say, then it is overfished and overhunted and why would anyone go there?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:32 PM

Somthing in the water here I guess!!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Yesterday was the opener and we did great. My friend caught a 19.5 inch brown. I caught my 2nd palimino (it going on the wall next to my other palimino and brown that i caught a few years ago) We fished the towanda and wysox creek. in total the 3 of us caught between 30-35 fish.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well another Awesome opening day for me at twin lakes park in westmoreland Co. Saturday i landed 33 trout , all were from 12-15 inches with the exception of my 21.5 in rainbow that i hit at 4:55 on a march brown joes fly. On sunday i got up at about noon and went back b4 mom finished dinner , and in 2 hrs i caught 6 trout , all on joes flies. i bagged another nice one too , this time a 17 incher though. All in all 39 trout this weekend , not too bad , ill hit up the streams tho this week in indiana
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

just as i kinda expected......i didnt even wet a line...drove to sewer creek #1.......REDICULOUS.....there was seriously a guy every 10 yds 95% camped there atleast 1 night before...some more then that! and at every "hole" there was 20-50 guys......soooo i went to get my exhaust and put that on instead...the part store didnt open for another hour..so i know of sewer creek #2 in the area....again...rediculous...about the same as the other creek...but the water is skinnier...the only place to fish ARE the holes on that creek....so i worked on my exhaust all day and went to the eye doctors.....i been trout fishing all year...no sense in fighting with guys over it.......

airborneguy.......yes it CAN be that bad on opening days.....depending on where you go ect.....i snapped a few pics as i was driving by sewer creek #1.....ill hafta get them online and post them for you after class...we have somewhere around 1 million hunters in the state......fishermen i dont know...but probably more......kinda hard to count when anyone under 16 dont need a license....but theres some places more packed then others....but around my area the trout at ALL stocked......and 90% will be caught or will die by summers end....the creeks and lakes just get to warm......both them "sewer" creeks as i call them honestly about dry up in the summer time......theres been years ive heard of the trout floating on the lakes around here in the summers....so though it sounds like over fishing it really isnt....its a put and take stocking program for the most part....but if you goto the mountains and cooler regions with better cleaner cooler creeks the trout can and will survive.....and theres also wild trout fishing to be had.....i been fishing for wild trout alot more now...i dont eat trout so i could care less.....they all go back unless someone asks me for them...the hunting is a diffrent story.....were not over hunter REALLY.....you just been hearing of the deer stuff......we went through a major herd reduction the last couple years.....the game commision wanted to lower the deer herd population across the state....hunters did just that....hunters dont realize that the game commisions plan worked just as they wanted it to......though i dont see the need for it in some areas...some areas needed it......some areas were hit harder then others though......there used to be HERDS of deer in the mountainous areas...seeing 20-30 deer at one time used to be common....but seeing a buck was a long shot.....seeing a buck with more then spikes, Ys or a little basket rack meant you seen a MONSTER....i do see more bucks now....and some are larger then before.....i went 4yrs without killing a buck....last year alone in deer season i seen atleast 4 or more that i can recall....but over all i seen less deer this year.......if your reading the turkey stuff and how the extra tag is going to kill all the turkeys...i beg to differ.....though the hatches havent been AS good....everyone compares it to out PEAK year...of course it will be down from the PEAK year....but we still have turkeys out the wazoo in alot of places on this side of the state...and only around 7600 EXTRA tags were sold....counting mine of course ..and we can only take bearded turkeys...so thats 99% males....males dont lay eggs last time i checked...even "dumb" farmers (as they get called..no pun intended) know it only takes 1 bull to breed a whole herd of heffers!...it seems theres alot of cry babies in this state....but youll have that....sure the deer herd is down....but youll still have guys killing the does they DO see..so they arent helping if they want to help....

Quick Reply: PA Trout opener..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.