Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY turkey season2006

Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Default NY turkey season2006

Anybody been out scouting yet?

i have found a couple of nice flocks - the hens in my area are still all flocked up and I see a couple of nice toms in a field on my way to work every day strutting and trying to impress the laddies but they don't seem interested yet so breeding should be in full swing come season it's looking right on track this year.

Anyone seeing any nice birds? and How do the flocks look after this past winter?

Flocks around me are looking nice and healthy. Mild winter did them good.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY turkey season2006

i don't really get to do much scouting, but I did see about 5-7 birds this morning behind my house. I was cutting wood for an hour or so and stopped the saw. then they too off from the roost right above me. I was amazed they hund around while I was cutting.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have to get a bit done. Got access to a small 20 acre woodlot with a 10-12 bird flock constantly visiting. I'll be checking it out next week.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Lots of turkeys this year in CNY.Lots of jakes, I counted 21 jakes inone flock and 23 in the other. I have noticed that hens almost never seem to pay much attention to the toms untila little before (minutes) they actually breed them.I have seen 5 different hens get bred so far this spring. Here is one of my pictures.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

My site is having a turkey hunt sometime in May. One of the guys is letting us use his land and we will also hit some public land all in Sullivan County. I see them everyday by the way... laugh all you want, but Staten Island is infested with turkey! No one knows what to do about it and of course we are forbidden from hunting here.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

mlo..if u dont mind id lieke to make that my backround
Old 04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year we had a fairly early spring. The birds were talking good the youth hunt wknd the wk before May 1st up here Osw. Co.. Come May 1st they'd pretty much calmed up, and I never heard much gobbling again until the last wk. Being an even earlier spring I figure will see the same sort of action. The Youth hunt is wknd of 4/22 & 23rd. It should be real good for the kids, and I'm hoping my son bags his first bird. But come May 1st I feel it'll be tough going again for turkey talk.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Opening day is the same as walleye season so I`ll be out fishing. Walleye fishing is my second favorite next to deer hunting
Old 04-18-2006, 07:18 AM

We just completed the house at our camp last week and was moving in furniture, etc. While we were there, we say turkeys everyday along the ridge line going into the woods, a funnel to a field a farmer who just laid cow manure in. The turkey's just love the left over goods you know. Anyway, didn't have to scout too much, seem to have them pattern somewhat, but we'll see on May 1. Actually had two HUGE toms past by my deck about 40 yards out struten behind a hen as she was walking along the atv trail. Was joking with my neighbors, seems this year I'll be able to hunt turkey & deer from the deck! LOL, if it was only that simple.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:47 PM

I my neighborhood, the hens seem to have split up now. I have three different hens walking alone midday, two in my deer pens and one coming up the driveway. While theyre still with birds out back, the tomsgobble up a storm. Later, like I said, they do seem to seperate. The hens have always nested right near my place, the nests have been easy to spy on. I wish we started mid April like other states do.

Quick Reply: NY turkey season2006

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.