Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Brown Recluse Spiders

Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Brown Recluse Spiders

ORIGINAL: Nord QC Bouman

They will not bother you in PA as they do not live here. You do need to be careful with shipments from the south/Miss river valley into Texas. They like to hide in the interleaving of boxes. So when you are unpacking your gear, watch out.

THe reactions also vary to the bit - some are deadly allergic and some are not affected at all.
A man died in Seagertown PA several years ago from a spider bite.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The brown recluse is not plentiful in PA but they are here.I know of two people that were bitten in my area.The one a lady had to have her nose removed.Another is a man I work with who got bit in his pick up on the way to work.He ended up in bed for three weeks with a leg that looked like hamburger.Luckily he healed with out amputation.He still has the scars but he also has his leg.The brown recluse bite can cause death.The spider has a violin shape on it's top front which I think is called the borex or something like that.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:26 PM

I'm surprised by the range they show in the link someone else provided, I know some are here in PA, and points south, maybe not as much but they're here.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think somebody else mentioned them hopping a ride on shipments.
They make a black widow look like a flea.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:25 PM

I just wonder if they then bread into any population here, or just run around on there own till they die??
Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Hi, Who here.
I dont know the photo's you are talking about but I posted a set of photo's, that I took, several years ago. This was on a Pt. that we had here.
I am a Surgical Nurse. That case was the second one that I have seen here in Lubbock. I have seen one other since then but was not as bad. We have also had one young boy to die from a Brown Reluse bite but that involved abuse. The family did not take him to see anyone and the bite became septic.
I have also been bitten by one of the little suckers. Actually they can get the size of a GD long legs.
These spiders are shy but they will defend their home. They like dark, dry, quiet places. Webs are small. They like shoes, garden gloves (The Pt. had put on some old garden gloves) I was cleaning out a storage house.
Here these spiders are quiet common. Most people dont know what they are looking at when they see one. If you want to get this close, they are the only spider(I think this is right) that has three eyes. Thay have the fiddle shaped body but are not always brown.
Bite starts out small and mine itched like mad. Soon it had a fever. The bite area grows and has what looks to be like a white head in the center, (its not, this is skin that is starting to die),this area growand can double in sizein just a short time.
If my house was infested with those, I'd try to burn it down and get away with it! They are some bad MF's!
Why? All you need to do is spray. A good bug killer of Company will do the job just fine.
I have even found them out in the country while deer hunting.
Just watch where you are working and if you want just spray before you work in the area.
Good Hunting, lol
Rick
Old 03-30-2006, 04:21 AM

Hey guy's had comment on this one. The Brown Recluse does have nasty results from it's bite as well as some other spidres like the Hobo or aggresive house spider. I'd be more concerned with ticks and mosquitos will in the woods though.
If anyone is concerned about these spiders being in their house buy some sticky traps and place them under furniture and other dark areas thats not disturbed often (hence the name Recluse). Check the traps after about week if they are in the hous you'll catch some on the traps.
As far as treatment just spraying will not uaually take care of a Recluse infestation in a home since the Recluse usually will not come in contact with the insectcide unless it's applied in the areas where the spiders are and most people tend to spray baseboards. Treatment is best done by a proffesional who knows the biology and habits of the Recluse.
Heres some more info.
http://www.hobospider.com/info/

Bug
Bugman by trade
Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

This is how they get to areas, even into Canada. They are very intolerant of cold (below 50F) and atelevation. This is why they are not breeding in PA and only getting there via transit. Many can stayfor the summer however in lower lying areas. This is why cases are100:1 when you compare somewhere like Miss to PA.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What bugpro said. Plus, most insecticides don't work all that well on spiders because they are not insects. These spiders are not nearly as prevelant as everybody thinks but they are around. I've only seen a handful in Florida in over 30 years. Not to worry, professional pest management folks can handle them without great difficulty.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes been around them since I been in the Army. Very nasty and black widows too....... known to kill young children and older folks! [&:]

Quick Reply: Brown Recluse Spiders

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.