Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Coon dog pups

Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 PM

Default New Coon dog pups

I just got two Bluetick/Plott cross pups - I am starting to train them for coon hunting. I had them both out last night and I was letting one run around off the leash while I had the other on - teaching them to come to me it seems to work nice when the other dog is with me they act like they are trying to show up each other. Well Sable was off the leash and she took off and would not come to me when I was calling her. It was dark so I could not see where she went to. I looked for her for about 20 minutes when I saw her heading back from the feild and she brought a dead coon with her. It was freshly killed so I figure she caught it crossing the field before it could get to a tree. Definately a good sign. I just need to get her to bark on trail and she should turn out to be a good dog.

I am hoping that by next season they be going good enough to get out and do some hunting with them.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Coon dog pups

"Where the Red Fern Grows", my favorite book ever, even at this age and with my own book under my belt! Thanks for the memories brother, good luck with them dogs, I hope they give you many years of enjoyment!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:54 AM

Default RE: New Coon dog pups

Had the dogs out again last night working with a drag. Put a dead coon up a tree and had them treeing a little before they lost interest. Took them out this morning and both of them ran right to the tree to see if the coon was still there both of them look like there going to be fun ti hunt with.