Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Deer Hunters- An idea to improve the herd

Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NY Deer Hunters- An idea to improve the herd

Due to our relatively large population, I think that expecting the state to ever try to sizeable increase the deer herd is a pipe dream. NY's goal is to manage just the right amount so that hunters can hunt (and provide economic benefits to the state of course), and so that insurance companies covering farms and autos don't have to pay out massive payments every year. Its an economic balance which I don't think will ever change.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Our relatively large population? No offense, but that sounds like a politician using a stat created from a staff stat analyist.

Yes it is true that we have a large total state population. HOWEVER, remove NYC's numbers, and New York becomes the least populated state east of the Mississippi River.

And for our purposes of hunting, most of it is done outside of the NYC area. Quite logically some is done in that area, but only a very small percentage.

In my endless number ofconversations with the DEC, I yet to ever hear one say that insurance has any effect on the manner in which they manage the state's deer herd. On the contrary, in many public and private discussions, lectures, articles, I've observed them say clearly that insurance companies are not involved whatsoever with the deer management.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Airborneguy

NY's goal is to manage just the right amount so that hunters can hunt (and provide economic benefits to the state of course), and so that insurance companies covering farms and autos don't have to pay out massive payments every year.
If you could, I'd appreciate any leads you have on this. Maybe show me where on the DEC Web site it is, or where they've stated that this is NY's goal. Seriously, I really would appreciate it. I could win a ton of awards, and make even more money. So, please if you will...

Anyhow, you have to remember the state has yet to move to managing antler. Even though we have a pilot program started and another this coming season, they are NOT purposely for antler growth at all. It's a biological actionundertakenby the DEC.Being in the Adirondacks, non-natural (farming, plots) food sources simply aren't going to be as abundant. Thus, deer rely on natural forage (of which some they prefer over any farm food), which is a factor in the number and healthof deer in the area.

In other parts of the state, the deer herd is in great shape. But we all have to remember that the shape of the herd is influenced by a large number of factors. Increasing one helps, but it won't cure what some hunters are suffering from.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I don't recall stating that this was proven anywhere, I'm offerring my opinion, just like everyone else. I doubt the state would admit to anyone that they are allowing a non-consservation related interest to affect conservation though, sothem not telling you (whatever makes you so important that they should....) means nothing. I have heard from many people that it is a defiante possiblility, andthe relation of deer to insurances losses has been brought up many times.

It's obviosuly an issue somewhere:

http://www.senate.state.ny.us/pressreleases.nsf/a9c64cb05dda7e7e85256aff006d42c0/d1bd68889a6e44c4852570180075905b?OpenDocument

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...511140316/1002

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/userforms/nera/Projects/project.cfm?type=NE&NumID=1005
Old 03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I don't recall stating that this was proven anywhere, I'm offerring my opinion, just like everyone else. I doubt the state would admit to anyone that they are allowing a non-consservation related interest to affect conservation though, sothem not telling you (whatever makes you so important that they should....) means nothing. I have heard from many people that it is a defiante possiblility, andthe relation of deer to insurances losses has been brought up many times.

It's obviosuly an issue somewhere:

http://www.senate.state.ny.us/pressreleases.nsf/a9c64cb05dda7e7e85256aff006d42c0/d1bd68889a6e44c4852570180075905b?OpenDocument

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051114/COLUMNISTS12/511140316/1002

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/userforms/nera/Projects/project.cfm?type=NE&NumID=1005
Again, you need to re-read. You stated NY's goal is to blah blah blah. All I'm asking is that you show me where you pulled this statement from. If it's NY's goal, I want to know about it, because if you re-read, YOU said it. If it was an opinion, you clearly should have stated so, because it wasn't typed that way.

When was the last time you went to a DEC meeting? They almost always state that they do not manage with an interest from insurance companies in any meeting regarding deer issues. You think the DEC is some conspiracy theory department? They aren't going to admit it because they don't practice it. Simple as that.

And coming from someone who manages a lowly, non-attended startup forum who spams other boards, you sure have room to talk and bash other members about their value to the state's outdoor community. I never said I was important (but I do work with the DEC frequently on a first-name basis),however I can rest easy knowing I've done a ton for hunters and anglers in NY by doing my fair share of contributions. Compared to you, I've parted the Red Sea. But I never, ever think that way, and suggest you stop doing so if you want to be productive to other NY hunters via your board. Accusing others of not being important is pretty low-brow. Every hunter in this state is an equal in my book, including you.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

...I knew this was going to happen...a follower. Now forever more, I won't be able to offer my opinion on this board without hearing from you because I pissed you off by not following your DECREEby not posting on YOUR THREAD which was posted on a PUBLIC FORUM.......GAME ON [>:].

I already told you BUDDY, it's my opinion, I CLEARLY and CRISPLY stated that above. And as an opinion, I can say whatever the hell I want. I have no duty to you or anyone else when I am stating my opinion, if you can't see it as such, that's your problem. No on else seems to have minded.

Self-important people do not impress me. I have not BASHED you in anyway. Clearly, being someone important, you must realize that a PUBLIC FORUM, is exactly that, PUBLIC. My only misdeed was not listening to you by not posting in your thread. Until it says MODERATOR somewhere near your name, good luckgetting me to listen to another word you ever say.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Well go back to parting the Red Sea please, thats important work, I wouldn't want to stop you and have some Egyptian soldiers drown because of my distraction.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have not BASHED you in anyway.
(whatever makes you so important that they should....)

Seriously dude, you're killing me. You think I'm following you? LOL, all I wanted was a fact sheet or something prior to you admitting it was actually an opinion shaped like a factual statement.

I'm in this thread fora discussion on the deer herd. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

When did I try to hide that what I said was an opinion?After you called me out,I had no problem stating it clearly in the first line of my reply.When was the last time you were provided with a factsheet before or after reading someone else's opinion on a PUBLIC FORUM?

"I'm in this thread fora discussion on the deer herd. Nothing more, nothing less. "

Then you already have my answer PAL, so go back to parting the Red Sea. I am glad people like you exist to make my hunting so great that I recently started spending most of my time in NJ. Maybe you need to do a better job at what you think you are doing.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

When did I try to hide that what I said was an opinion?After you called me out,I had no problem stating it clearly in the first line of my reply.When was the last time you were provided with a factsheet before or after reading someone else's opinion on a PUBLIC FORUM?

"I'm in this thread fora discussion on the deer herd. Nothing more, nothing less. "

Then you already have my answer PAL, so go back to parting the Red Sea. I am glad people like you exist to make my hunting so great that I recently started spending most of my time in NJ. Maybe you need to do a better job at what you think you are doing.
I think you missed the point. I wanted a link, factsheet, statement from the DEC, anything...because I was interested in LEARNING. We as a forum provide links, factsheets, etc. to other members who request it. It actually happens quite often. You yourself just did it a couple posts ago on the bill/article links.

Stop antagonizing this thread more. I'm sure it is not appreciated.

Back to topic:
I'm wondering if you (thread starter)could contact the regional dec office to get a more localized answer to possible solutions. At the very least it should offer insight better than we can specualte on a forum. Have you tried that yet?

Quick Reply: NY Deer Hunters- An idea to improve the herd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.