Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine

Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Default RE: Maine

Lowerances are awesome, espeicially on a boat. But I like the simplicity of my $100 Garmen. It's got to be simple or I can't use it.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 AM

I use my Garmin and a Brunton Compass. Without it one would be lost forever. I hare hunt and the chase can get a man turned around quick. I know for a fact that without it I would have been in some hairy situations.

As for the deer in the Northeast in general, it is a hard hunt, but if you are successful you will be proud. After all that is what it's all about, hard work=success.

I always take two cameras with me on every hunt. Plenty of different film helps too.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:24 PM

I've been hunting in Maine for the last 20 years we hunt right in the middle of the state just north of Dover-Foxcroft.Last year we had more deer sightings than ever and 3 nice bucks taken out of 7 hunters,and I wacked a nice male coyote that was chasing a doe it was a good year!Get familiar with your gps but dont forget your compass,in the thick stuff its hard to get a fix with the gps.Hunting up in Patten at the end of the month should definetly get you some snow be ready to do some tracking.The rut up there usually hits @ 11-15 might want to take that into account,we've taken alot of bucks leading up to the 12th!,but hunting the big woods with snow is the best-might want to start getting in shape in July hiking in the snow will kick your butt! Good luck-theres nothing like seeing a mature Maine buck,and if your real lucky you'll join the 200# club!-the state sends you a patch if you get 1 over 200 #'s!!
Old 03-18-2006, 05:41 PM

ive only duck hunted maine and it was beatiful
id say the best thing to bring other than a gun and all that is boots
Old 03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kamil, Patten is a nice area to hunt and they do get some nice bucks out of there. As others stated bringing along a camera, a nice pair of water proof boots, and a compass would be a good thing for you. Around Patten you should be able to see at least a few moose while traveling to your hunting grounds. Beware of the thickness of the older cuttings they might surprise you! Also be patient as the coyotes have the deer very wiary and would spook easily. Also with your compass make sure if you carry a cell phone that it is not to close to your compass when get a reading. A gps is
will only work in the bigger openings up here.The third week you might find a few deer rutting as it appears that more deer are rutting a little later because of all the warm weather we have been getting the past few years. Anyhow good luck it will be a great trip for you.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunted Portage and the Allegash Wilderness Area for 2 or 3 years. It is remote and we drove daily through the fish river check point and traveled about 40 miles to various areas. We saw lots of bear and moose but not many deer. The bucks were there and snow really makes the differance. Thanksgiving week is a great time to be up there and the mature bucks are moving especially near the end of the week. Good luck and be careful. Get real good with the gps because you'll need it.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:58 PM

Check out my hunt pics of last season: http://paivag.ruin.org/mainehunt/index.html The hunt was in or around Baxter state park. Using outfitter http://www.oxbowlodge.com/.

It was a big eye opener to the type of hunting in the big woods of Maine. I learned a lot that week!