Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Still a Few Deer Left in NH

Old 02-26-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Still a Few Deer Left in NH

I got a few free hours on Saturday so I grabbed my Topo Map and went looking for a new spot to hunt closer to the house.I saw lots of fresh sign and beds and apparently stumbled on to a deer yard. I've never seen so many deer in one place in New England. They stampeded by me and I countedfifteen and it was pretty thick so I know I didn't see them all.It sounded like a freight train going through the woods. I didn'tsee any antlers on any of themand walked through where they came from looking for any sheds. I soon left them aloneand made my wayback to the truck where we (my black lab and I) came across eighteen turkeys crossing a logging road. Not a bad day.

So here'smy question.

Does anyone know, or have a guess, how far these deer came toyard up there? Although a very nice area, I can't imagine it supports that many deer year round.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 AM

Default RE: Still a Few Deer Left in NH

Depending how far north you were some deer yarding areas will pull deer from 20+ miles away. An area in Maine has studied deer in a particular yarding area travelling almost 50 miles.

In my experience it seems that deer seem to concentrate in less than 5 to 10 mile areas. I am pretty far south though. In Rindge NH where I hunt, the places we see deer each fall are completely devoid of any deer in the heart of winter, but about 5 miles away there is a yarding area in a thick cedar swamp that has groups of 40+ deer. I "think" this is where some of the deer I hunt go. If I were you I'd look for excellent "fall" feeding areas within a few miles of the yard you found as that would be your best bet for finding them I would think.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the info MA Jay.

I lived in Ashburnham, MA for a year and Rindge wasnearly in my back yard. I never got chance to hunt either place unfortunately. When I hiked around, there seemedto be plenty of nice spots though. Lots of oaks around Lincoln Pond on the MA side. Youshould check it out.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:38 PM

i have a camp with 60 acres in fitzwilliam and there are plenty of deer there. last year we got a picture of a buck with a radio collar around its neck on our trail camera
Old 02-27-2006, 06:56 PM

Fitzwilliam is a sweet spot too. Another area I spent some time in andnever got to hunt.

You didn't find my wallet there did you? About five years ago I was at the gas station at the Rte 12 & 9 intersection and drove off with my wallet on top of the car.

Not one of my better moments. Ihad to buymy hunting license twice that year.