Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in PA....Why Not Wolves!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
jf5

Default RE: Cougars in PA....Why Not Wolves!!!!

Its damn hard and expensive to kill off coyotes, and most biologists will tell you that if you remove one pack, another moves in. I agree they take their toll on deer, especially during hard winters,but there really is not much any game agency can do except allow liberal hunting/trapping seasons for them and allow techniques to improve the success ratio. But there is no way to remove all, or even half the yotes. They have tried for centuries out west with no success. Oddly enough, the only thing they ever found effective in severlyreducing yotepopulations is wolves.

I alsoagree that they are part of nature (yotes), and they have filled the niche left by the wolf here in the east. I welcome all the predators to my hunting areas, but allso beleive in management for them when populations are high, just like deer. Plus they are quite a challenge to hunt...

ORIGINAL: sproulman

well, i am no expert on that.i am just saying that they are doing nothing.i bet if their pay was based on the number of deer here in pa. those coyotes would be gone.you said poison the coyotes,thats a idea but dont know if it is good/bad/ hunting over bait, i like that idea but dont know if its good/bad idea. maybe someone will chime in on this.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Cougars in PA....Why Not Wolves!!!!

PA just started letting you bait Coyotes this year. I have a theory that they aren't killing as many deer as we think. There are turkeys everywhere, wouldn't hey be killing off the turkeys too? I've seen a coyote take down a turkey on a hunting video, they seem like easier targets than deer.