Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cougars in PA....Why Not Wolves!!!!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Cougars in PA....Why Not Wolves!!!!

Yeh I agree for sure on the fawns, I have yotes galore where I'm at in Clearfield, however IMO I know most times these predators will not attack humans, but at the same time these two predators have been known to attack. I would bet if they're around, it wouldn't be long till a jogger or somonegets it. You know, wouldn't want to scare touristout in the PA Wilds!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

i truly believe without any evidence that no attacks will happen but you have heard of a rabied fox getting wierd.my concern is those little fawns i see being killed by coyotes.penn state made study and said that the bears were killing most of fawns. thats not what i am seeing but they did the study. i believe that coyotes are killing most of fawns. i saw it many times at kettle creek park. i saw 2 fawnskilled in one afternoon at spillway at dam. sound was awful. 2 coyotes circled and killed BOTH FAWNS. there was 25 witnesses to this at the overlook at dam.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as there are plenty of deer to eat, human attacks will be rare. When all the predators eat all the deer, and start to starve out, look out.
Canines get very bold when they are starving to death. Whywere they hunted to extinction with bounties and such? They are dangerous and can't be trusted. Don't believe that crap on TV that shows tame wolf packs with human characteristics and the narrator in the background referring to them by cutiepet names.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

time will tell.its strange in a way. wolves show up and PGC says they were released and want to know who did it.i have been saying this all along on coyotes here in pa. i agree,they have been released too. now, question is,who is releasing the coyotes?is PGC going to fnd out who released the coyotes?are they going to ask for info on who did it?hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-24-2006, 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

youre right. all coyotes we have here and nothing is done by the PGC .if they were interested in saving deer they would be out trying to kill off these coyotes.lets face it, they want deer dead and they are letting it happen.coyotes are really taking toll on the fawns.
Sproulman, I am not sure what you want the PGC to do. Should they hire sharpshooters to kill coyotes? Perhaps poison them? Right now, you have the most liberal hunting regulations possible on them. You can hunt them 24 hours a day, seven days a week, use bait, electronic callers, whatever. Are you hunting them yourself? If not, and given that you seem to think they are on of the factors responsible for the low deer population, why not?
And where do you get the idea that the PGC is releasing coyotes? Don't blow your credibility all at once.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:49 AM

"Game Commission policy requires proposed species reintroductions to be appropriate and feasible," said Calvin W. DuBrock, Game Commission Bureau of Wildlife Management director. "We believe that any reintroduction program involving wolves or other large predators would be impractical and inappropriate given the population distribution and density of people in our state. We do not believe that there are any areas remote enough in our state where large predators could be reintroduced without setting up a conflict situation for people or other wildlife valued by people."
Now, shouldn't this put the wilda$$ theory that the blame commission is releasing wolves to rest? Nah. It won't. I don't know what I could have been thinking.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:49 AM

From what I have read and from the results of the release of wolves in Idaho I would be more excepting of mt lions becoming more established in the area than I would having wolves.

Tell me if I am wrong, but Idaho just resently turned over the management of the wolves in their state to the state game commision and may possibly open a season on them. Now how many years has it been since they reintroduced them in the state of Idaho - I am thinking like 5 - 6 years. Seems like if the population took off that quickly that they are now considering a hunting season on wolves they are much like coyotes and we all know how fast the population of coyotes in both NY and PA has grow since the population really took hold.

Now with Mt. lions in the west. There are the occasional animal/human mishaps but the majority of those have occures due to humans expanding their territory into the mt lions territory not vice versa. I am more inclinde to think that lions would be more likely to stay out of the way if they are given the choice, while wolves and coyotes are going to go where the food is regardless - at least that is what I have noticed with the coyotes I have in my area.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

patrkhntr,That won't be good enough for some people.It just kills me that some people blame the PGC for not doing enough to decrease the coyote population.They've had the most liberal season of any species for decades and now they're allowing bait.If the PGC stocked them,why would they want to hurt their investment by having such liberal seasons?These conspiracy theories are too much.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhoffman

From what I have read and from the results of the release of wolves in Idaho I would be more excepting of mt lions becoming more established in the area than I would having wolves.

Tell me if I am wrong, but Idaho just resently turned over the management of the wolves in their state to the state game commision and may possibly open a season on them. Now how many years has it been since they reintroduced them in the state of Idaho - I am thinking like 5 - 6 years. Seems like if the population took off that quickly that they are now considering a hunting season on wolves they are much like coyotes and we all know how fast the population of coyotes in both NY and PA has grow since the population really took hold.

Now with Mt. lions in the west. There are the occasional animal/human mishaps but the majority of those have occures due to humans expanding their territory into the mt lions territory not vice versa. I am more inclinde to think that lions would be more likely to stay out of the way if they are given the choice, while wolves and coyotes are going to go where the food is regardless - at least that is what I have noticed with the coyotes I have in my area.
Quick history lesson. Idaho is still fighting this in court. Montana and Idaho have an acceptable plan but the control has been held back because Wyoming wants to still kill them all and has no place for them. The federal government has given some control over the wolves to the state. Control meaning that Idaho can now ask for permission from the feds to kill the wolves in areas that elk and deer are way below acceptable levels. Meaning we still have to ask the all knowledgble people back in washington for permission to deal with animals in our state. We have surpassed all target goals for wolve recovery, and are gaining more and more as we speak. The wolf mumbers are probably way higher than we think because we can not fly over the Frank Church to do accurate counts. Beleive me, you don't want these flea bags in your state.

As for cougars staying away from humans, for the most part yes. BUT every year, some are spotted here in town. The most dangerous is a juvenile male searching for his own territory. Just ask the cyclists in California, or wait a minute, they can't talk any more!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The second wolf has be captured:

GAME COMMISSION ANNOUNCES THAT SECOND "WOLF"
CONTAINED BY OWNER IN ADAMS COUNTY CASE

HARRISBURG - Information provided by a confidential informant helped Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today locate the second of two animals that are suspected of being either gray or timber wolves or wolf-hybrids, and the animal has been contained by its owner. Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer (WCO) Darren David is continuing with an investigation, and will not be releasing further information until the investigation is complete.

According to WCO David's investigation, on Feb. 19, an individual shot one of two animals believed to be wolves or wolf-hybrids after it displayed aggressive actions. After killing the animal, the individual contacted the Game Commission Southcentral Region Office and turned over the carcass to officers.

"We are going to have the carcass examined and tested to verify whether this is a pure-bred wolf or some hybrid," David said. "However, given public concern about the second animal's whereabouts, we wanted to let the public know that the animal has been contained."

Further announcements will be made when the results of the tests and investigation are finalized.

Quick Reply: Cougars in PA....Why Not Wolves!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.