Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I think there is too many deer

Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM

Default I think there is too many deer

I think there are too many deer in the state of New Jersey. What do you think?

Matthew
Old 01-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think there is too many deer

How many did you shoot this year?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, and its hurting the quality of the herd. Its because the DNR caters to the clubs and allows the "slaughter" of buck week to continue.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

To many deer in NJ? Son not sure how long you have been hunting here in NJ, but the deer herd is hurting in NJ. There was a time when I would see 50 or more deer per day with quality bucks, now I may see 10 per day and still see the same quality of bucks.The state allows for the unlimited harvest of antlerless deer since 1997 or so. They need to cut back this program, they need to stop any type of deer hunting with a firearm after the new year, and there should be no deer hunting after Jan. 31st They also need 3 points to aside statewide. Long hunting seasons are stressful to the herd, allowing antlerless harvest isn't good, who knows how many button bucks got harvested since 1997, that could of been nice bucks within a few years. They should allow 2 or maybe 3 bucks per year per hunter with 3 points to oneside, and 3 antlerless deer per year per hunter, and if any hunter who harvest a button buck must give up there buck tag.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:14 AM
jf5

WOW, 10 deer a day is still quite allot of deer. 50 a day is way, way to much.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

what zone are you hunting? or are you talking about the deer in unhuntable safty zones, private property and back yards. As BHC already comented on there are way less deer now than a few years ago.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt zone 4 Sussex County
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

To many deer in NJ? Son not sure how long you have been hunting here in NJ, but the deer herd is hurting in NJ. There was a time when I would see 50 or more deer per day with quality bucks, now I may see 10 per day and still see the same quality of bucks.The state allows for the unlimited harvest of antlerless deer since 1997 or so. They need to cut back this program, they need to stop any type of deer hunting with a firearm after the new year, and there should be no deer hunting after Jan. 31st They also need 3 points to aside statewide. Long hunting seasons are stressful to the herd, allowing antlerless harvest isn't good, who knows how many button bucks got harvested since 1997, that could of been nice bucks within a few years. They should allow 2 or maybe 3 bucks per year per hunter with 3 points to oneside, and 3 antlerless deer per year per hunter, and if any hunter who harvest a button buck must give up there buck tag.
I have been hunting in NJ for 15+ years. In South Jersey there are too many deer, and I am guessing if you are seeing 10 deer a day in North Jersey there is too many up there too. (Of course some areas arehave too few, and othersway too many, but I am talking overall statewide)As for the rest of your post, I think that most if not all biologists would argue against the "allowing antlerless harvest isn't good" theory. The way to have a healthy deer herd is too have the population near or at the carrying capacity, not way over it, and to have a balanced doe/buck ratio, which is only possible through antlered and antlerless harvests. As for antler restrictions, I agree it would be nice, but I wouldn't say we NEED them, as alot of people don't really care how big a buck they shoot, they are meat hunting. (and as long as deer drives are legal they probably won't go to them..) As for button bucks, I have no trouble with someone shotting one, although I wish NJ would count them as bucks when checked in, not "antlerless deer". Just difference of opinion I guess, based on hunting different areas...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I should of said was the UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS HARVEST isn't good, cause it's been going on way too long, the line needs to be drawn in the sand, taking a number of antlerless deer per hunter is a good thing, taking the unlimited amount isn't. I've been hunting NJ over 25 years, nothing was wrong with the system they had, bucks in NJ maybe be bigger today then years ago, but if they stopped the unlimted antlerless harvest then more bucks would make it to a mature age. I agree areas have too many deer, areas where we can't hunt. Things need to change for the future of hunting in NJ, we all know of hunters who go out and want to harvest more deer then they need. 3 bucks with 3 points to oneside, 3 antlerless deer per hunter/year. If a hunter can't live with 6 deer total for then they need to move on
Old 01-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

be careful what you guys wish for........................take it from a PA boy.....i once thought my areas were pretty overrun with deer......the last few years we had some MAJOR herd reduction....and ARs to make the herd healthier with bigger bucks......lets just say i rather see ALOT of healthy deer each day.....then see what i see now.......sure theres deer left......sure alot got smart and made it behind the houses till the season ends.....but never has our group seen it too bad...we used to see deer EVERY drive......now we are lucky to see a deer a day....