Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Comparing Bait Piles to the use of "scents"

Old 01-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Comparing Bait Piles to the use of "scents"

heres my 2 cents, I think using scents can or could be very effective when using them at the right time and location, depending on wind, area, time,etc. I have tried scents and have never had any luck with them at all, but havent really keyed in on them either, so I seldon use deer scents I think its a lil overrated myself, ive had to many deer spook on theses scents. now the grunt call Ive had plenty of action on that. butI think that when an unfamiliar odor is new and a deer doesnt connect with it they spook.as far as bait piles I think its good when you have 1000 acres to hunt and no available food source, I think it creates a pattern in the deer to the area you want them to come. also it feeds numerous animals that benefit from it besides the deer. I also think bait piles are good for a hunter that only has a saturday to hunt. or very lil time to hunt. now ive done all of the above and theres nothing like patterning a deer and then ambushing him on his normal route to a natural food source, but Ive hunted ares that did not have a natural food source ( tree farms ) and havent seen a thing, Ive seen plenty of sign but they were never there when I was, this is when I would use bait to attract them to the area and create something. now Im hunting an area that has plenty of natural food sources acorns, cornfields, soy beans, winter wheat, natural browse, and have had an unbelivable yr. I guess it all depends on where ya hunt and how you want to go about getting some action.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think using scents can or could be very effective when using them at the right time and location, depending on wind, area, time,etc.

ive had too many deer spook on theses scents..
I couldn't agree more. The point isusing scentsdoes require a great degree of "hunting skills" or "habitat knowledge"in order to be used effectively. Just as importantly, if they are not used properly they are actually more likely to alert a deer to your presence than to attract a deer to your loocation.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:21 AM

the real thing works best

Old 01-09-2006, 01:34 PM

Nice post JC, seems right on the money to me. I don't use scents either, tried them for several years but never had any noticable results. As for this...

ORIGINAL: chickenfarter

A scrape line is visited every day by that animal till the rut is over and he has bred.During most hunting season for deer anyway,the rut is in that genral time zone.During late season the rut is over in most areas where hunting is pemited...If you use reg deer urine and spread it around in the area you are hunting,Deer will come investigate other deer in the area before they go and feed.Try it,it does work all the time.
I don't know how much hunting experience you have chicken, but I'm guessing your pretty new with views like this. Scrapes are certainly not visited every day, andspreading deer urine around your stand doesnot work all the time.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NJ_Bowhntr

Nice post JC, seems right on the money to me. I don't use scents either, tried them for several years but never had any noticable results. As for this...

ORIGINAL: chickenfarter

A scrape line is visited every day by that animal till the rut is over and he has bred.During most hunting season for deer anyway,the rut is in that genral time zone.During late season the rut is over in most areas where hunting is pemited...If you use reg deer urine and spread it around in the area you are hunting,Deer will come investigate other deer in the area before they go and feed.Try it,it does work all the time.
I don't know how much hunting experience you have chicken, but I'm guessing your pretty new with views like this. Scrapes are certainly not visited every day, andspreading deer urine around your stand doesnot work all the time.

Good luck.

I wish the scrape lines were visited everyday where I hunt. I have a few rubs by my "one" stand I`ve been hunting for 2 yr and haven`t seen that buck yet so this yr I hunted scrape lines and it was hit or miss.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:31 PM

I have never had luck with scent, I have actually spooked deer with it.When hunters have luck with it I sometimeswonder if the deer would have come to that spot anyway and may not have even smelled the scent.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME