Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Orange Limit For Archery In PA

Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Orange Limit For Archery In PA

Later this year, I am going to hunt in PA with a friend later this year, and I am hunting whitetails. How many square inches of florescent orange do you have to have for archery hunting whitetails in PA? Thanx!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Orange Limit For Archery In PA

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2005/orange_rules.pdf

Check out this link to the PA Game Commission website, should answer your questions.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure the link answers your question thoroughly. To be blunt though, in the late season you shouldn't have to wear any blaze orange when bowhunting. Even during the regular archey season in October you don't have to wear blaze orange unless there is an overlap with small game, muzzleloader, turkey or junior senior rifle...and then only when traveling to and from the stand location. Ofcourse, you have to post 100 inches within so many feet once on stand though.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

When there is an overlap of seasons, I wear a thin orange vest and my insulated hat is reversible. Once I get in the stand I wrap the vest around the tree and reverse my hat to camo. I usually don't wear the orange at all walking in for a morning hunt because I walk in total darkness and hunting is illegal then, so I am walking in the dark and not hunting. If some fool shoots me withmy flashlight on,orange wouldn't save me anyway. 100 square inches on head and 250 square inches on back and chest combined, I think.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:19 PM

No FO required in the late archery season.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

100sq inches when overlapped with small game turkey muzzleloader and youth season.100sq inches also has to be displayed within 15ft i believe when on stand during that time. I always wear 100sq inches when walking to and from my spots even when its not required. though i do not display it until it it required. Safety first...[8D]
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Host of Hosts

I usually don't wear the orange at all walking in for a morning hunt because I walk in total darkness and hunting is illegal then, so I am walking in the dark and not hunting

livbucks,
Be careful of doing this. My friend who I often archery hunt with got a 150.00 fine for coming out of the woods in the dark after hunting hours without the required flourescent orange.Hewas walking with a light on too.A warden was waiting by his truck when he came out.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see how that would happen at the end of the day. It would be very simple to wait near a hunters vehicle and collect some extra easy money. Not too many wardens around at 5 am. I better play it safe though.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd bet that could be beaten but of course in PA, your guilty until you pay good money to prove your inocence....