Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Cool Front Did It !!!

Old 10-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cool Front Did It !!!

I was thinking of sleeping in this morning, good thing I didn't! I would have missed one of the better days on stand I have had in a long time. I saw 14 deer, 12 between 7:30 and 8:30. I was tempted so many times to shoot a fat doe, but I had left my cart at home so dragging a doe was out of the question. After 9 I was thinking about getting down so I could get a start on some of the things I had to do. As I gave one last look I saw a deer coming right up behind me. It was a buck with heavy horns, and a very husky look to him. He came closer, moving along side of me at about 12yds. I shot, and knew from the immediate gush of blood on his coat I made a perfect hit. He ended up going about 70yds. with a complete pass through, and a nice cross through his heart from my 4 bladed Muzzy. He is a 9pt. dressed at 156lbs. Dragging this guy took me some time, but it was worth it! For whatever its worth, his hocks were already black, and he stunk like hell! Get ready fellas, the ruts commin!!! MWX

Old 10-14-2002, 05:46 PM

Default RE: Cool Front Did It !!!

Congrats on your buck.Seems like they are getting close.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to ya and the nice buck. Do you have any pictures to post I would love to see them. Where were you hunting? South jersey or north jersey? I have not seen any sign of the rut yet Let alone any rubs. I just haven't seen much sige. It also could be that I lost a lot of my land to hunt and have to learn public land in burlington county. Lebanon state forrest is my new home and I just have to learn it. Congrats to ya

brian

Old 10-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats MWX...Get us a PIC...I think we'll start to see some good buck activity after the full moon on the 21st. I have to shoot another doe come the 26th.%#*$@
Old 10-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go!

Bob

Looking at the world from 15 feet up.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS ON YOUR BUCK, AND GOOD THING YOU HAD PATIENTS!!!!

JERSEYJOE: WHY DO YOU "NEED" TO SHOT ANOTHER DOE? IM SURE YOU WOULD AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT SEEING THE NUMBER OF DEER THAT WE HAVE IN THE PAST HERE IN NJ, WITH THIS UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF ANTLERLESS DEER HARVEST OUR GREAT FISH & GAME EXPERTS WANT. IF THE DEER POPULATION WAS WHAT IT WAS A FEW YEARS AGO, THEN YES BY ALL MEANS TAKE A FEW OUT, BUT NOW, TAKE ONE OUT, IN REALITY ITS REALLY 3 DEER AND IN SOME CASES MORE. IM JUST VOICING MY CONCERN, FOR DEER HUNTING IN NJ JUST NOT FOR TODAY, BUT FOR YEARS TO COME. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU
Old 10-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

I shot the deer in zone 15. If I knew how to get a picture on the site, I would. I took a few pictures with a normal camera, but haven't had them developed yet. I am not computer savy! MWX

Old 10-17-2002, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Bowhuntercop....My zone(11) is earn a buck. A doe must be taken before harvesting a buck. Which I have done on 9-14. I was then able to shoot my buck on 10-7. I have been out 3 times since then and could have shot does each time.Prior to earn a buck, I would not shoot a doe at all! Your preaching to the preacher. I will not harvest more than 1 doe per season. Exteneded season begins on 10-26. To LEGALLY take a buck(the 8pt I'm after) I must shoot another doe. These are not my laws friend...Voice your concern to Fish and Game like I have done, not to fellow hunters who unfortunately must abide by them in order to get a buck.

MWX...If you scan the pic, send it to me. If not, mail me a copy and I'll post it. Shoot me an email.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Jersey Joe, when I get the pics developed, I'll send one to you. Maybe one of last years 12pt also. Thanks, MWX